About the Program
The RN to B.S.N. program is a fully online, flexible and affordable option designed to help associate and diploma registered nurses move ahead in their nursing career. Each course in the program is offered a minimum of three times per year. Students have the ability to design their own pace of degree completion.
As South Dakota's #1 RN to B.S.N. program, SDSU prepares future nurse leaders with flexibility, innovation and agility.
online degree completion
length of courses
Number of credit hours
Cost per credit hour
- Application Deadline & Course Calendar
Each session is 7 weeks long.
Application due date Session start date Session end date September 1, 2020 October 19, 2020 December 4, 2020 December 1, 2020 January 11, 2021 February 26, 2021 February 1, 2021 March 15, 2021 April 30, 2021 April 1, 2021 May 10, 2021 June 25, 2021 May 1, 2021 June 28, 2021 August 13, 2021 June 28, 2021 August 13, 2021 October 8, 2021 September 1, 2021 October 18, 2021 December 3, 2021
- Tuition & Financial Aid
Price per credit
Core curriculum cost
South Dakota Residents $409
South Dakota Advantage
(IA, NE, ND, CO, MT, WY)
» Estimated cost is based on 2020-2021 BOR tuition/fees.
» All courses are worth three credits each and delivered in 7-week format.
» 30 SDSU credits are required for program completion (24 B.S.N core curriculum credits and 6 elective credits).
» Full-time: 12 credits per semester • Completion in 10 months.
» Part-time: 6 credits per semester • Completion in 18 months.
» Additional costs will be incurred throughout the B.S.N. program, including but not limited to textbooks.
Academic Advising Guide Sheet
The academic advising guide sheet promotes student success by guiding all students to timely completion their degree.
RN to B.S.N. core courses (3 credits per course)
Nurs 300: Transition to BSN
Nurs 461: Vulnerable Populations: Nursing Perspectives
Nurs 462: Population Health: Nursing Perspectives
Nurs 463: Health Policy and Economics
Nurs 464: Genetics and Genomics in Nursing
Nurs 465: Evidence-Based Nursing Practice
Nurs 466: Healthcare Systems and Informatics
Nurs 469: Nursing Leadership Capstone
Recommended SDSU Electives (offered in 7-week format)
Nurs 467: Global Health: Nursing Perspectives
Nurs 468: Palliative Care Nursing
HSC/HLTH 200: Integrative Holistic Health Care
HSC/HLTH/NURS 402/502: Rural Healthcare Matters
- Credit Requirements
30 credits must be completed with SDSU
24 of these will be the SDSU RN to B.S.N. core courses:
System General Education Requirements (SGRs):
Associate Degree completion:
SDSU College of Nursing Courses:
Total number of hours required for major:
Total number of hours required for B.S.N. degree:
Ready to take the next step?
Student Learning Outcomes
As a graduate of the RN to B.S.N. program, you will have the knowledge to:
- Integrate theories and concepts from liberal education into nursing practice. (Cross-curricular Skill: Critical and Creative Thinking)
- Integrate effective leadership skills to improve the quality of health care. (Cross-curricular Skill: Teamwork; Diversity, Inclusion and Equity)
- Incorporate evidence-based practice. (Cross-curricular Skill: Inquiry and Analysis; Critical and Creative Thinking)
- Demonstrate proficiency in patient care technologies and informatics. (Cross-curricular Skill: Information Literacy)
- Evaluate the implications of health policy and health care delivery systems on the professional nursing practice environment.
- Integrate effective interprofessional communication and collaboration into professional nursing practice. (Cross-curricular Skill: Teamwork)
- Integrate behaviors that reflect nursing values and professional standards into practice. (Cross-curricular Skill: Ethical Reasoning; Diversity, Inclusion and Equity)
- Provide patient-centered, quality care. (Cross-curricular Skill: Diversity, Inclusion and Equity)
- Improve population health through health promotion and disease prevention.
Our Nursing Student Services team is ready to help you find a path to meet your nursing goals. Fill out this online form and our staff will get back to you as soon as possible to answer your questions.