Land acknowledgement: South Dakota State University acknowledges that the land it occupies across South Dakota is the ancestral, traditional and contemporary lands of the Oceti Sakowin (oh-CHEH-tee shaw-KOH-we), meaning Seven Council Fires, which is the proper name for the people referred to as Sioux. We acknowledge that before these sites were named South Dakota State University, they were called home by people of the American Indian Nations indigenous to this region.
Welcome to NANEC!
The College of Nursing Native American Nursing Education Center (NANEC) is committed to providing a welcoming and supportive place for students. The center is located at the SDSU nursing site in Rapid City at 1220 Mount Rushmore Road, Ste 2.
The NANEC's vision is to provide a place where Native American students achieve their dreams and aspirations of entering and transitioning to professional nursing roles, poised to promote health and well-being of Native people.
The NANEC's mission is to provide a nurturing and collaborative environment where intentional mentoring inspires Native American nursing students to thrive and flourish.
Meet the Team
Our NANEC team is ready to help you find a path to meet your nursing goals. Fill out this online form and our staff will get back to you as soon as possible to answer your questions.
Seven Traditional Values of the Lakota
- Fortitude can be seen as the inner strength or inner fire that allows an individual to persevere in the face of adversity.
- Wisdom is the ability to make the right decisions not just for self, but for family and community.
- Courage is the willingness to put oneself in harm’s way to protect family and community or to advance a higher cause or purpose.
- Generosity is giving of possessions, time and energy to others so that they may prosper.
- Honor is having integrity to honest character – one who can be trusted.
- Respect is understanding the importance of all creation, including people, animals and earth.
- Humility is the core value – understanding that the values and gifts given to us by our creator are not only for personal gains. Our purpose is to protect, heal and advance our communities for benefit of future generations.