The College of Nursing (CON) research committee reviews and approves any research studies/projects that involve nursing (graduate/undergraduate) students as subjects (research participants) before receiving approval from the university IRB.
- Research Committee Meetings
- September 22, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm CT
- October 6, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm CT
- November 16, 11:00 pm -12:00 pm CT
- December 1, 11:00 pm - 12:00 pm CT
- Functions of the Research Committee
- Advise the office of nursing research on needs or activities to facilitate faculty research.
- Conduct pre-submission reviews of extramural research proposals as requested.
- Review research proposals submitted by faculty in response to the annual internal call for proposals and make recommendations for funding to the Office of Nursing Research.
- Serve or assure representation of the CON faculty on health system nursing research committees.
- Represent the CON in health research initiatives within SDSU as requested.
- Screen proposals that involve nursing students as human subjects.
- Solicit nominations and select the recipient of the annual CON research and scholarly excellence award.
- Solicit, review and choose students for support at the Midwest Nursing Research Society conference.
- Steps Before Submitting to the Committee
If your research proposal/project includes using CON graduate or undergraduate students, below are the steps needed BEFORE submitting to the CON research committee.
- Review policy #C1970: students as research participants before submitting proposals for review.
- Contact CON research committee chair prior to submission to discuss proposed nursing course(s).
- The proposal is composed using the SDSU IRB Human Subjects Application Form. The proposal should clearly state:
- Proposed sample size
- Sample inclusion criteria
- Proposed nursing course(s) from which participants will be recruited, including specific course number(s) CON site (i.e., Aberdeen, Brookings, Rapid City, Sioux Falls)
- Time frame of data collection
- If survey, how many times participants will be surveyed and anticipated time needed to complete survey
- If interviews, length of interview
- Copy of interview
- Interview questions
- Submit an electronic copy of SDSU IRB human subjects application form to the CON research committee chair, one week prior to the CON research committee monthly meeting (see dates on web page).
- After completing the research project/study and data analysis, provide a brief summary (1-page) of the results to the CON research committee chair.
- Application Submission
Send your application to the Office of Nursing Research administrative staff to be routed to the CON research committee for review.
The College of Nursing (CON) Seed Grant supports assistant professors or clinical assistant professors or above with seed money toward the development of applicant’s research trajectory and/or innovative pilot projects.
The Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS) offers an annual opportunity for undergraduate and graduate nursing students to submit an abstract for the Student Poster Competition at their annual spring conference.