The College of Nursing (CON) Seed Grant supports assistant professors and above with seed money toward the development of applicant’s research trajectory and/or innovative pilot projects.
The Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS) offers an annual opportunity for undergraduate and graduate nursing students to submit an abstract for the Student Poster Competition at their annual spring conference.
Fall 2019 commitee meetings
- September 23, 2019 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- October 23, 2019 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- November 25, 2019 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Functions of the research committee
- Advise the office of nursing research on needs or activities to facilitate faculty research.
- Conduct pre-submission reviews of extramural research proposals as requested.
- Review research proposals submitted by faculty in response to the annual internal call for proposals and make recommendations for funding to the Office of Nursing Research.
- Serve or assure representation of the College of Nursing faculty on health system nursing research committees.
- Represent the College of Nursing in health research initiatives within SDSU as requested.
- Screen proposals that involve nursing students as human subjects.
- Solicit nominations and select the recipient of the annual College of Nursing research and scholarly excellence award.
- Solicit, review and choose students for support at the Midwest Nursing Research Society conference.
Steps before submitting
If your research proposal/project includes using CON graduate or undergraduate students, below are the steps needed BEFORE submitting to the CON research committee.
The CON research committee reviews and approves any research studies/projects that involve nursing (graduate/undergraduate) students as subjects (research participants) BEFORE receiving approval from the university IRB.
Review policy #C1970: students as research participants before submitting proposals for review.
Contact CON research committee chair prior to submission to discuss proposed nursing course(s).
The proposal is composed using the SDSU IRB Human Subjects Application Form. The proposal should clearlystate:
- Proposed sample size
- Sample inclusion criteria
- Proposed nursing course(s) from which participants will be recruited, including specific course number(s)
- CON site (i.e., Aberdeen, Brookings, Rapid City, Sioux Falls)
- Time frame of data collection
- If survey, how many times participants will be surveyed, and anticipated time needed to complete survey
- If interviews, length of interview
- Copy of survey
- Interview questions
Submit an electronic copy of SDSU IRB Human Subjects Application Form to the CON Research CommitteeChair, one week prior to the CON Research Committee monthly meeting (see dates on web page).
After completing the research project/study and data analysis, provide a brief summary (1-page) of the results to the CON Research Committee Chair.
Send your application to the Office of Nursing Research administrative to be routed to the College of Nursing Research Committee for review.