A Message from VP Daniel Scholl - April 17, 2020
About the Division of Research and Economic Development
The Division of Research and Economic Development works closely with university researchers, business leaders, and other sponsors to promote faculty expertise aimed at solving real-world problems in society and industry. The university has positioned itself as a leader in agriculture and precision agriculture, remote sensing and life sciences. The research enterprise also capitalizes on expertise in digital technology related to agriculture and resource management.
The precision agriculture initiative brings together experts from computer science, statistics, engineering, remote sensing and agriculture, as well as industry partners to increase the profitability and the sustainability of agriculture.
- Research expenditures increased by more than $4 million from $63.5 million in fiscal year 2018 to $67.6 million in fiscal year 2019. This 6.5% increase moves the university closer to its Imagine 2023 goal of increasing research productivity by 40%.
- SDSU's National Science Foundation ranking for total research and development expenditures has improved from 185th in 2008 to 178th in 2017.
- Faculty researchers provide scientific leadership through different research centers:
- North Central Regional Sun Grant Center
- Geospatial Sciences Center of Excellence
- Ethel Austin Martin Program in Human Nutrition
- Biosystems Networks and Translational Research (BioSNTR)
- South Dakota Center for Biologics Research and Commercialization
- In addition, SDSU researchers will play a key role in the state’s newest research center, the South Dakota Biofilm Science and Engineering Center.
- SDSU has the most active research program in the state with nearly $68 million in research expenditures.
- More than 800 undergraduates are engaged in research through the Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College.
Reusable respirator for coronavirus|Using corn-based resin to make plastic |NIH grant to eradicate TB|Extracting cellulose from corn stover| Anand receives dairy research award
Diet improves older adults’ health | Modeling argon in neutrino detector | Undergrad researchers in Pierre |Field device to detect PFAS | Faculty recognized for research
Amino acid supplement for dairy cows | NASA drone team | Bear research | Poetry anthology |Sports Medicine fellow
Royal Plastics making cyanide detector parts | New U.S. DOE grant | Tribal pallative care programs | Flavonoid metabolite to fight colorectal cancer | Fulbright scholar
Developing engineering identity may be key to student success | Landscape architects use 'green' approach to reduce runoff | Raina recognized as Haarberg Chair of Cancer Research | Researchers find surprise when analyzing Daschle speeches | Two SDSU researchers receive international ecology award
SDSU biofilm center researchers focus on nitrogen-fixing bacteria | Yonce, Ragsdale record new music at The Tank Center for Sonic Arts | SDSU scientists first to analyze proteins in squid skeletal structure | SDSU researchers to study how cells recycle proteins | SDSU botanist to analyze history of Russian thistle invasion
Subscribe to Research Report
Keep up with what's happening in research. Sign up to receive our monthly electronic newsletter, Research Report.