A Message from VP Daniel Scholl - April 17, 2020.
About the Division of Research and Economic Development
The Division of Research and Economic Development works closely with university researchers, business leaders, and other sponsors to promote faculty expertise aimed at solving real-world problems in society and industry. The university has positioned itself as a leader in agriculture and precision agriculture, remote sensing and life sciences. The research enterprise also capitalizes on expertise in digital technology related to agriculture and resource management.
The precision agriculture initiative brings together experts from computer science, statistics, engineering, remote sensing and agriculture, as well as industry partners to increase the profitability and the sustainability of agriculture.
- Research expenditures increased by more than $4 million from $63.5 million in fiscal year 2018 to $67.6 million in fiscal year 2019. This 6.5% increase moves the university closer to its Imagine 2023 goal of increasing research productivity by 40%.
- SDSU's National Science Foundation ranking for total research and development expenditures has improved from 185th in 2008 to 178th in 2017.
- Faculty researchers provide scientific leadership through different research centers:
- North Central Regional Sun Grant Center
- Geospatial Sciences Center of Excellence
- Ethel Austin Martin Program in Human Nutrition
- Biosystems Networks and Translational Research (BioSNTR)
- South Dakota Center for Biologics Research and Commercialization
- In addition, SDSU researchers will play a key role in the state’s newest research center, the South Dakota Biofilm Science and Engineering Center.
- SDSU has the most active research program in the state with nearly $68 million in research expenditures.
- More than 800 undergraduates are engaged in research through the Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College.
Benefits of conservation tillage |Sweet potato bread |Algae and swine waste |Expanding palliative care |Celebration of Faculty Excellence
Guidebook to restore genetic diversity |Evaluating fungicides to fight stem canker|Extracting water from ice on Mars |Improving soybean meal digestibility|Examining woodchip quality in bioreactors
Prairie AquaTech exporting ME-PRO® |Designing respirator to capture coronavirus|Examining how coronavirus infects cells |Assessing farm-ranch stress|Modeling wildfire emissions|NIH grant to help eradicate tuberculosis
Reducing COVID spread indoors|Assessing farm-ranch stress|Using ag data to increase productivity|Concrete institute research fellowship
Rotational grazing challenges|Making concrete buildings repairable|Evaluating materials for rocket engines|Improving genomic analysis website|Krishnan gets international award
Modeling coronavirus-carrying droplets|Improving cancer therapeutics|Building confidence in precision ag technologies|Formulating spintronic materials|Locating civet cats
Subscribe to Research Report
Keep up with what's happening in research. Sign up to receive our monthly electronic newsletter, Research Report.