South Dakota State University offers a rich academic experience in an environment of inclusion and access through inspired, student-centered education, creative activities and research, innovation and engagement that improve the quality of life in South Dakota, the region, the nation, and the world.
South Dakota State University will be a premier land-grant university recognized for high value, innovation, and bold impact.
• People-Centered: We recognize leadership is derived from service to others. We are committed to creating a culture where all thrive and are supported on their own personal and professional paths toward lifelong learning, growth, and leadership.
• Creativity: Creativity is our cornerstone to expand knowledge, develop human understanding, and enrich quality of life. We believe that education and research/scholarship/creative activity reinforce one another and the best academic programs bring innovative teaching and rigorous research together.
• Integrity: We act with organizational and personal integrity, through honest interactions, professionalism, transparent and accountable decision-making, and respect for others.
• Diversity: We are committed to diversity of community and ideas. We believe in a supportive, inclusive, collaborative, and cohesive environment with a focus on access. We actively seek collaboration and we respect individuals with differing perspectives, backgrounds, and areas of expertise.
• Excellence: Excellence is achieved through continuous improvement, assessment, and accountability. We embrace bold action and adapt to an ever-changing environment. Individually, we are experts at what we do. Collectively, our impact is even greater.
Goals & Strategies
Achieve Excellence Through Transformative Education
1. Attain academic excellence.
a. Increase and sustain the number of accredited and certified programs.
b. Develop and grow high-quality and distinct academic programs designed to meet the needs of diverse students and market demands.
c. Increase programs offered which use a diversity of delivery methods, times, (or scheduling) and locations.
d. Promote active and innovative teaching, learning, and advising practices.
e. Incorporate and assess cross-curricular skills into academic and co-curricular endeavors.
2. Affirm student success as a foundational University priority.
a. Update the Student Success Model to more directly focus on high impact practices.
b. Identify and address gaps and streamline facilities, technology, and personnel to advance student-success efforts and outcomes.
c. Ensure student success of underrepresented populations through the establishment and continuation of programming and initiatives focused on access.
3. Increase recruitment, retention, and graduation of professionally prepared global citizens.
a. Achieve strategic enrollment targets by implementing the strategic enrollment management plan, that will include strategies for at-risk and diverse student success.
b. Develop and enhance key retention and persistence programs that facilitate the development of skills in intercultural engagement, global citizenry, and international relationships.
Cultivate and Strengthen Community Engagement
1. Enhance the academic and work environments of the University by fostering a culture of service, servant leadership, and inclusive excellence among faculty, staff, and students.
a. Increase diversity of faculty, staff, and students through inclusive recruitment and retention practices.
b. Strengthen onboarding and professional development programs for faculty and staff in accord with the mission, vision, core values, and goals of the University.
c. Affirm commitment to shared governance, transparency, timely communication, and inclusive participation.
d. Reward outstanding performance and advance quality of life in the workplace.
e. Regularly evaluate the climate at South Dakota State University as experienced by faculty, staff, and students, communicate, and respond with actionable strategies.
2. Grow the University’s external engagement through extension, collaborative service, community outreach, alumni relations, and public-private partnerships that enhance the quality of life in South Dakota and beyond.
a. Ensure that communities have a voice in defining the University’s external engagement activities.
b. Align academic and outreach programming across the university to optimize institutional efforts to support tribal communities and underserved populations.
c. Increase engagement with K-12 schools at the local, state, and national levels.
d. Build reciprocal relationships with industry partners.
e. Celebrate, promote, and communicate the results and impact of engagement activities.
Foster Innovation and Increase Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity (RSCA)
1. Strengthen the leadership and personnel infrastructure for innovation, RSCA, and economic development to serve the state, region, nation, and world.
a. Implement effective leadership structures, strategies, expectations, and plans in all colleges and departments.
b. Increase faculty and staff time allocation through flexible workload assignments and incentives, and support for large proposal and interdisciplinary proposal development.
c. Implement policies and practices of faculty and staff review to optimize unit-level performance across education, outreach, and RSCA.
d. Implement and maintain optimally efficient and high performing staffing structures for pre-award, post-award, and general RSCA support in units and centrally.
e. Recruit and retain personnel aligned with University RSCA goals, including faculty, staff, doctoral students, and post-doctoral fellows
f. Implement faculty start-up and retention programs with a focus on RSCA goals.
2. Increase, optimize, and align the physical resources and investments for innovation, RSCA, and economic development.
a. Implement a university-wide research computing and data infrastructure that is optimally responsive to the needs and objectives of society and sponsors.
b. Implement policy and practice for utilizing focused, interdisciplinary, or multi-institutional research centers for strategic positioning and synergy.
c. Continuously improve and deploy facility space for fulfilling college RSCA goals.
d. Increase the number of public-private activities located in the Research Park at SDSU.
3. Create an institutional culture of communicating and branding SDSU RSCA and its achievements, outcomes, and impacts to the full scope of stakeholder and peer communities.
a. Increase partnering and sponsoring opportunities through advocacy and engagement with agencies, enterprises, non-profits, economic development venues, and other organizations.
b. Differentiate SDSU RSCA to build and maintain preferred status among sponsors and partners.
Be a Growing, High-Performing and Healthy University
1. Infuse core values throughout all levels of the University.
a. Align individual performance evaluations and organizational assessment systems to support the University’s core values.
b. Embrace a culture of responsibility and accountability to OUR University.
c. Implement new professional development opportunities with high employee participation.
d. Create a culture of personal, professional, and organizational well-being throughout the University.
2. Grow and sustain financial resources aligned with the mission of SDSU.
a. Develop a comprehensive, growth-oriented strategic enrollment management plan.
b. Develop new revenue streams through an increase of sponsored programs, fundraising efforts and other endeavors.
3. Allocate the University’s resources to achieve strategic priorities.
a. Create a culture that encourages and supports collaboration, sustainability, creativity, and bold ideas.
b. Implement data-informed systems that incorporate efficiencies and continuous improvement.