South Dakota State University offers a rich academic experience in an environment of inclusion and access through inspired, student-centered education, creative activities and research, innovation and engagement that improve the quality of life in South Dakota, the region, the nation, and the world.;
South Dakota State University will be a premier land-grant university recognized for high value, innovation, and bold impact.
- People-Centered: We recognize leadership is derived from service to others. We are committed to creating a culture where all thrive and are supported on their own personal and professional paths toward lifelong learning, growth, and leadership.
- Creativity: Creativity is our cornerstone to expand knowledge, develop human understanding, and enrich quality of life. We believe that education and research/scholarship/creative activity reinforce one another and the best academic programs bring innovative teaching and rigorous research together.
- Integrity: We act with organizational and personal integrity, through honest interactions, professionalism, transparent and accountable decision-making, and respect for others.
- Diversity: We are committed to diversity of community and ideas. We believe in a supportive, inclusive, collaborative, and cohesive environment with a focus on access. We actively seek collaboration and we respect individuals with differing perspectives, backgrounds, and areas of expertise.
- Excellence: Excellence is achieved through continuous improvement, assessment, and accountability. We embrace bold action and adapt to an ever-changing environment. Individually, we are experts at what we do. Collectively, our impact is even greater.
Goals & Strategies
Achieve Excellence Through Transformative Education
- Attain academic excellence.
- Increase and sustain the number of accredited and certified programs.
- Develop and grow high-quality and distinct academic programs designed to meet the needs of diverse students and market demands.
- Increase programs offered which use a diversity of delivery methods, times, (or scheduling) and locations.
- Promote active and innovative teaching, learning, and advising practices.
- Incorporate and assess cross-curricular skills into academic and co-curricular endeavors.
- Affirm student success as a foundational University priority.
- Update the Student Success Model to more directly focus on high impact practices.
- Identify and address gaps and streamline facilities, technology, and personnel to advance student-success efforts and outcomes.
- Ensure student success of underrepresented populations through the establishment and continuation of programming and initiatives focused on access.
- Increase recruitment, retention, and graduation of professionally prepared global citizens.
- Achieve strategic enrollment targets by implementing the strategic enrollment management plan, that will include strategies for at-risk and diverse student success.
- Develop and enhance key retention and persistence programs that facilitate the development of skills in intercultural engagement, global citizenry, and international relationships.
Cultivate and Strengthen Community Engagement
- Enhance the academic and work environments of the University by fostering a culture of service, servant leadership, and inclusive excellence among faculty, staff, and students.
- Increase diversity of faculty, staff, and students through inclusive recruitment and retention practices.
- Strengthen onboarding and professional development programs for faculty and staff in accord with the mission, vision, core values, and goals of the University.
- Affirm commitment to shared governance, transparency, timely communication, and inclusive participation.
- Reward outstanding performance and advance quality of life in the workplace.
- Regularly evaluate the climate at South Dakota State University as experienced by faculty, staff, and students, communicate, and respond with actionable strategies.
- Grow the University’s external engagement through extension, collaborative service, community outreach, alumni relations, and public-private partnerships that enhance the quality of life in South Dakota and beyond.
- Ensure that communities have a voice in defining the University’s external engagement activities.
- Align academic and outreach programming across the university to optimize institutional efforts to support tribal communities and underserved populations.
- Increase engagement with K-12 schools at the local, state, and national levels.
- Build reciprocal relationships with industry partners.
- Celebrate, promote, and communicate the results and impact of engagement activities.
Foster Innovation and Increase Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity (RSCA)
- Strengthen the leadership and personnel infrastructure for innovation, RSCA, and economic development to serve the state, region, nation, and world.
- Implement effective leadership structures, strategies, expectations, and plans in all colleges and departments.
- Increase faculty and staff time allocation through flexible workload assignments and incentives, and support for large proposal and interdisciplinary proposal development.
- Implement policies and practices of faculty and staff review to optimize unit-level performance across education, outreach, and RSCA.
- Implement and maintain optimally efficient and high performing staffing structures for pre-award, post-award, and general RSCA support in units and centrally.
- Recruit and retain personnel aligned with University RSCA goals, including faculty, staff, doctoral students, and post-doctoral fellows.
- Implement faculty start-up and retention programs with a focus on RSCA goals.
- Increase, optimize, and align the physical resources and investments for innovation, RSCA, and economic development.
- Implement a university-wide research computing and data infrastructure that is optimally responsive to the needs and objectives of society and sponsors.
- Implement policy and practice for utilizing focused, interdisciplinary, or multi-institutional research centers for strategic positioning and synergy.
- Continuously improve and deploy facility space for fulfilling college RSCA goals.
- Increase the number of public-private activities located in the Research Park at SDSU.
- Create an institutional culture of communicating and branding SDSU RSCA and its achievements, outcomes, and impacts to the full scope of stakeholder and peer communities.
- Increase partnering and sponsoring opportunities through advocacy and engagement with agencies, enterprises, non-profits, economic development venues, and other organizations.
- Differentiate SDSU RSCA to build and maintain preferred status among sponsors and partners.
Be a Growing, High-Performing and Healthy University
- Infuse core values throughout all levels of the University.
- Align individual performance evaluations and organizational assessment systems to support the University’s core values.
- Embrace a culture of responsibility and accountability to OUR University.
- Implement new professional development opportunities with high employee participation.
- Create a culture of personal, professional, and organizational well-being throughout the University.
- Grow and sustain financial resources aligned with the mission of SDSU.
- Develop a comprehensive, growth-oriented strategic enrollment management plan.
- Develop new revenue streams through an increase of sponsored programs, fundraising efforts and other endeavors.
- Allocate the University’s resources to achieve strategic priorities.
- Create a culture that encourages and supports collaboration, sustainability, creativity, and bold ideas.
- Implement data-informed systems that incorporate efficiencies and continuous improvement.