Tell us why you want to be a nurse!
In an effort to keep the spotlight on the nursing shortage, the College of Nursing began sponsoring the "Why I Want to be a Nurse" contest in 2002. All South Dakota fifth graders can submit a 150-word email essay that answers the question, “Why do you want to be a nurse?” We chose to have students send an email submission because it supports the use of technology in the schools, plus the project gives young students an opportunity to fine-tune their writing skills.
The "Why I want to be a Nurse" Contest provides an opportunity for students to begin thinking about a career in nursing. Fifth grade students have the opportunity to earn a monetary gift for college tuition while practicing their computer and writing skills.
The contest is open to all South Dakota 5th grade students. Students are invited to participate by writing a personal essay responding to the statement, "Why I want to be a Nurse".
The essay must include the following
- The student's own understanding of a nurse's role.
- The student's description of the work done by a nurse.
- An explanation of why the student wants to be a nurse.
- Individual, thoughtful response.
- Written using correct grammar, spelling and sentence structure.
- Double spaced, 100 to 125 words in length.
A deadline will be posted next spring for the spring 2019 contest. Please check back then.
- 1st Prize | $100.00
- 2nd Prize | $75.00
If you have questions about the "Why I Want to Be a Nurse Contest", please contact Sherry Asper.