APPLY NOW TO START FALL 2021!
The application for fall 2021 program start is OPEN! Please contact our assistant director of nursing student services if you have questions
Information for Applicants
- Admission and Eligibility Requirements
GRE: Not required
TOEFL: Score of 81 Internet-based
IELTS: 6.5 total band
In addition to meeting basic requirements for admission to the Graduate School, applicants for graduate study in nursing must have:
- Current RN licensure. International students who are nurses are required to show proof of current licensure/registration as a Registered Nurse (or equivalent), in good standing, in their home country, and maintain that licensure throughout the duration of the program.
- Completed an approved statistical methods course within 5 years.
- Example of scholarly written work.
- Interview assessment reviewed by graduate faculty.
- Completed Compliance requirements: Clear Background check, clear FBI rolled fingerprint, clear drug screen, Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers, ACLS certification for FNP specialization, professional liability insurance, influenza vaccine, and TB test.
- Applicants who have begun but not completed a graduate nursing program at another college or university must submit a letter to the College of Nursing indicating their reason for leaving that said program. A letter of recommendation must also be submitted to the College of Nursing from the dean/director of their former program that includes the applicant’s standing in that program upon exit.
For applicants who completed their higher education within the United States:
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing from an ACEN or CCNE accredited program with a minimum cumulative preferred GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 point grading system.
- Master’s degree in nursing (from an ACEN or CCNE accredited program) or a related field of study with a minimum cumulative preferred GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 point grading system.
For applicants who completed their higher education outside the United States:
- A degree deemed equivalent (by the World Education Service) to a Bachelor’s degree in nursing (within the United States Education System) with a minimum cumulative preferred GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 point grading system.
- A degree deemed equivalent (by the World Education Service) to a Master’s degree in nursing or a related field of study (within the United States Education System) with a minimum cumulative preferred GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 point grading system.
- Application Process
Each applicant is required to complete two applications:
- (1) Application to the SDSU graduate nursing program and
- (1) Application to the SDSU Graduate School.
- Application Deadlines
Degree Application Deadline Ph.D. March 15, 2021
- Requirements for Applicants Offered Admission
Applicants who are offered admission to the program will be required to:
- Application Restrictions By State
Due to regulations in certain states, South Dakota State University College of Nursing is unable to accept applicants from several identified states as noted on the following link: South Dakota State University - Continuing & Distance Education - state authorization information.
If you are a current resident of a state identified on the above listed webpage, we regret that we are unable to consider your application for admission.
If you do not currently reside in one of the identified states and are offered and accept admission, please note that should you relocate to one of the identified states while in the program, you may not be able to complete the program.
In addition, there may be rules and regulations required by the South Dakota Board of Nursing and/or other state Boards of Nursing that may not provide the opportunity for out-of-state applicants to be admitted to any of the graduate nursing programs.
Are you ready to start your application?
Learn more about SDState's nursing program, faculty, learning facilities and more wherever you are.
Our Nursing Student Services team is ready to help you find a path to meet your nursing goals. Fill out this online form and our staff will get back to you as soon as possible to answer your questions.