- Brookings Main Campus
Collaborative delivery of medical care.
Physician assistants, also known as PAs, practice medicine on a team under the supervision of physicians and surgeons. They are formally educated to examine patients, diagnose injuries and illnesses, and provide treatment.
Physician assistants must complete an accredited educational program. These programs usually lead to a master's degree. All states require physician assistants to be licensed.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy lifelong learning
- Curiosity about life
- Critical thinking and enjoy solving problems
- Enjoy science and the scientific method
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA's)
- Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT's)
- Medical Scribes
- Medical Technicians
- Patient-care Technicians
Professional Schools Admitting Graduates
- Des Moines University (DMU)- Iowa Health Sciences University (Des Moines, IA)
- University of South Dakota (Vermillion, SD)
- University of Wisconsin- LaCrosse (LaCrosse, WI)
- University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) (Omaha, NE)
- St. Catherine's (Twin Cities, MN)
Undecided or still deciding on a major and future career?
If you are uncertain about your major and have questions about career planning, you are not alone. Choosing a major or career can be a very difficult decision. The Exploratory Studies program may be a good fit if you are unsure of your major and career focus. Entering the university in the Exploratory Studies program will help you gain confidence and valuable insights on majors and minors available at SDSU and future career choices.
In addition, FOCUS 2 Career, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you reflect on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills to provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 Career by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 Career, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.