The study of life: evolution, structure, function, information flow, pathways and biological systems.
The Biology major can prepare students for entry into occupations related to life science in industry and government. Students select from microbiology, botany and animal-based classes based on their desired career path.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Are curious about life
- Enjoy problem solving and critical thinking
- Appreciate science and the scientific method
- Medical researcher
- Industrial or agricultural analyst
- Physician or other health-care professional
- Pharmaceutical sales representative
- Specialization in graduate school
- Iowa State Veterinary Medicine
- Avera Research
- Graduate Schools
- Sanford Research Institute
- Avera Research Institute
- Henry Dorley Zoo
- Local Vet Clinics
- Professional Writing
- Graphic Design
- Animal Health
Clubs and Organizations
- Microbiology Club
- Art Club
- Pre-Vet Club
- National Student Exchange or Study Abroad
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.