The study of life: evolution, structure, function, information flow, pathways and biological systems.
The Biology major can prepare students for entry into occupations related to life science in industry and government. Students select from microbiology, botany and animal-based classes based on their desired career path. If you are interested in pursuing careers in medicine, dentistry, optometry, physician assistant, chiropractic, physical therapy, occupational therapy, or other pre-professional programs please see our NEW MAJOR: Human Biology.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Curiosity about life
- Critical thinking and enjoy problem solving
- Enjoy science and the scientific method
- Medical researcher
- Industrial or agricultural biochemist
- Physician or other health-care professional
- Pharmaceutical sales representative
- Sanford-USD Medical School
- Avera Research
- Sanford Research Institute
- Avera Research Institute
- Professional Writing
Clubs and Organizations
- Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society
- Pre-Medical Chapter of the American Medical Student Association
- Pre-Physical and Pre-Occupational Therapy Club
- Pre-Professional Science Club
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.