The world around you is full of riddles waiting to be solved.
Some have been small, like designing artificial sweetener by chlorinating a sugar compound. Others are monumental, like continually testing and modifying a compound that targets human cancer cells. Whatever the puzzle, the world needs creative thinkers to imagine and implement solutions.
At SDSU, we train and equip such thinkers to conduct sound research and engage the challenges of our modern day. We give you plenty of opportunities to experiment, direct research initiatives and discover your unique interests. Chemistry courses are divided into fie general areas: analytical, organic, inorganic, physical, and biochemistry. In addition, we offer courses in instrumentation and environmental chemistry. SDSU's curriculum is designed so you have freedom to seek training in the areas that fascinate and motivate you - whether you hope to be a doctor, a teacher, a researcher or an entrepreneur.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Have an inquisitive mind
- Are interested in the physical sciences
- Have a strong work ethic
- Are curious about how things work
- Enjoy research
- Chemist in pharmaceutical, mining, food and oil industries
- Technical manager
- Forensic scientist
- Policy maker in government
- Physician or other health-care professional
- Healthcare Industry
- Prairie AquaTech
- Prairie AquaTech
- On-campus labs (Industrial Microbiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Microbiology)
- Experiential Learning
- Professional Writing
Clubs and Organizations
- Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society
- Pre-Medical Chapter of the American Medical Student Association
- Pre-Physical and Pre-Occupational Therapy Club
- Pre-Professional Science Club
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.