- Brookings Main Campus
Leaders in the delivery and practice of medical care.
Physicians and surgeons diagnose and treat injuries or illnesses. Physicians examine patients; take medical histories; prescribe medications; and order, perform, and interpret diagnostic tests. They counsel patients on diet, hygiene, and preventive healthcare. Surgeons operate on patients to treat injuries, such as broken bones; diseases, such as cancerous tumors; and deformities, such as cleft palates.
Physicians and surgeons have demanding education and training requirements. Almost all physicians complete at least 4 years of undergraduate school, 4 years of medical school, and, depending on their specialty, 3 to 8 years in internship and residency programs.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy lifelong learning
- Curiosity about life
- Critical thinking and enjoy solving problems
- Enjoy science and the scientific method
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Avera Health/Avera Institute for Human Genetics/Avera Sports Institute
- Brookings Health System
- Sanford Clinic/Sanford Research
- SDSU Department of Biology and Microbiology
- High Plains Genetics
Professional Schools Admitting Graduates
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN)
- Creighton University (Omaha, NE)
- University of South Dakota (Vermillion, SD)
- The Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) (Virginia, Carolinas, Auburn)
- Des Moines University (DMU)- Iowa Health
Undecided or still deciding on a major and future career?
If you are uncertain about your major and have questions about career planning, you are not alone. Choosing a major or career can be a very difficult decision. The Exploratory Studies program may be a good fit if you are unsure of your major and career focus. Entering the university in the Exploratory Studies program will help you gain confidence and valuable insights on majors and minors available at SDSU and future career choices.
In addition, FOCUS 2 Career, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you reflect on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills to provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 Career by using their student email and password. After completing FOCUS 2 Career, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a Career Coach in the Office of Career Development.