- Brookings Main Campus
Leaders in the delivery and practice of medical care.
Physicians and surgeons diagnose and treat injuries or illnesses. Physicians examine patients; take medical histories; prescribe medications; and order, perform, and interpret diagnostic tests. They counsel patients on diet, hygiene, and preventive healthcare. Surgeons operate on patients to treat injuries, such as broken bones; diseases, such as cancerous tumors; and deformities, such as cleft palates.
Physicians and surgeons have demanding education and training requirements. Almost all physicians complete at least 4 years of undergraduate school, 4 years of medical school, and, depending on their specialty, 3 to 8 years in internship and residency programs.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy lifelong learning
- Curiosity about life
- Critical thinking and enjoy solving problems
- Enjoy science and the scientific method
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Avera Health/Avera Institute for Human Genetics/Avera Sports Institute
- Brookings Health System
- Sanford Clinic/Sanford Research
- SDSU Department of Biology and Microbiology
- High Plains Genetics
- Health Communication
- Health Science
Professional Schools Admitting Graduates
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN)
- Creighton University (Omaha, NE)
- University of South Dakota (Vermillion, SD)
- The Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) (Virginia, Carolinas, Auburn)
- Des Moines University (DMU)- Iowa Health
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.