Create well educated and engaged citizens by preparing to teach scientific literacy, critical thinking skills, scientific inquiry, and the study of life.
The curriculum in the Biology Secondary Education specialization is designed to provide students with the background needed for a successful career teaching biology in middle and high schools. Students complete a broad distribution of courses that include all the major areas in Biology as well as coursework in pedagogical and professional development. For secondary education majors that may teach in a rural school or apply to graduate school, speak to an advisor about taking additional chemistry, physics, and math classes.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Curiosity about life
- Enjoy helping others learn
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Critical thinking and enjoy solving problems
- Enjoy science and the scientific method
- Middle School Biology Teacher
- High School Biology Teacher
- Graduate School to become a professor
- 1 Year of Student Teaching
- Undergraduate Supplemental Instruction Leader
- Wintrode Tutor (up to - CRLA Certified Master Tutor)
- Health Communication
- Health Science
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.