The study of living microorganisms & infectious agents.
Microbiologists study microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, algae, fungi, and some types of parasites. They try to understand how these organisms live, grow, and interact with their environments.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy laboratory work
- Are curious about life
- Enjoy problem solving
- Appreciate science and the scientific method
- Enjoy thinking abstractly
- Microbiologist Lab Technician
- Food, Feed and Bioproducts Manufacturing
- Production and Quality Control in the Food and Dairy Industry
- Vaccine Development
- Master's or PhD
- Healthcare Industry/Labs
- Graduate School
- Prairie AquaTech
- Mayo Clinic
- On-campus labs (Industrial Microbiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Microbiology, Food Science, Dairy Science)
- Health Communication
- Health Science
- Food Safety
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.