2023 Summer Graphic Design Internship Program
The South Dakota Art Museum is pleased to offer paid opportunities for qualified graduate and undergraduate graphic design students to intern for the summer of 2023. Based on a system of supervised learning, the internships enable students to understand how a museum operates, how graphic design work supports the branding and marketing efforts of the Museum and the Museum Store, and how to relate this experience to academic and professional goals.
Duration: May 8 - August 18, 2023 (15 weeks, 20 hours per week), schedule & duration negotiable
Applications due: March 26, 2023 Interviews: April 3-4, 2023 Intern Notification: April 11, 2023
Please submit this application along with a resume, graphic design portfolio (link or physical), unofficial transcript, and writing sample.
Application and related documents should be emailed to Carolyne Hart, Marketing and Development Coordinator: email@example.com by 11:59 pm, March 26. Any questions, please feel free to contact Carolyne (605-688-4313 or email).
Graphic Design Internship
(one - two part-time internship positions available)
Intern(s) will work with Carolyne Hart, Coordinator of Marketing and Development, and will assist in the design and development of visual media for marketing and promotion efforts.
- Design marketing collateral for exhibitions, community events and educational programs.
- Create museum promotional materials, including print ads, social media graphics, posters, banners, event signage, lobby graphics, brochures, post cards, and videos.
- Help maintain the Museum website.
- Maintain consistency of the Museum brand throughout all promotional materials
- Other duties could include staffing the information desk and welcoming visitors, member/visitor services, including working on a few weekends throughout the summer.
- Knowledge and experience in Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator a must. Canva experience is helpful. Photography and video experience a plus.
Summer 2023 at the South Dakota Art Museum
Major Summer 2023 exhibitions and events include Dakota Modern: The Art of Oscar Howe opening celebrations and summer-long events; exhibition showcasing works by contemporary Native American artists influenced by Howe; the Anderson Plaza Performance Series; ads and announcements of upcoming Fall 2023 exhibitions and events.