South Dakota Art Museum | Celebrating Native American Day 2020
Works on display by Native American Artists
Cradle cover (foreground), baby carriers and dolls (back)
Left: beaded dress by an unknown Ojibwe
Far right: Robert Lee Penn, "Urban Indian Series #4"
Works for Native American Stories
Into the Great Unknown: Illustrations by Paul Goble (through early 2021)
This selection of illustrations by Paul Goble features multiple stories of people setting out on difficult journeys into the unknown, and the leap of faith required to do so.
Cathy and Ken Vogele Collection (through Feb. 13, 2021)
- known and unknown artisans, historical and contemporary from several tribal affiliations
The Cathy and Ken Vogele Collection was built through a multi-faceted combination of their roles as collectors, purveyors, and community-members in American Indian arts. The exhibition focuses on three core object types collected in depth by the Vogeles: moccasins, dolls, and baby carriers.
50 Works for 50 Years: A Collections Retrospective (through March 6, 2021)
- Robert Lee Penn, Sicangu Lakota/Omaha | 1974
- Amelia Iron Necklace, Standing Rock Sioux | 1985
- unknown, Ojibwe | 1993 unknown, Oglala Sioux | 1997
- Arthur Amiotte, Oglala Sioux | 2002
- unknown, Standing Rock Sioux | 2004
- Dwayne Wilcox, Oglala Sioux | 2008
- Roger Broer, Oglala Sioux | 2009
- Andrew Standing Soldier, Oglala Sioux | 2014
- Oscar Howe, Yanktonai Sioux | 2016
Explore the Museum Store for our large selection of books and artwork by and about Native Americans (including a more limited selection online).