The museum has the largest, most comprehensive collection of Marghab Linens in the world. This collection is one of the founding collections of the museum. The linens were produced on the Island of Madeira from 1932 to 1978 by native embroidresses employed by Marghab Linens, Ltd. South Dakota native Vera Way Marghab and her husband, Emile, established the company in 1932. After his death in 1947, Vera continued to supervise the linen design and operation of the company for nearly 30 years. The collection was given to the museum by Vera Way Marghab in 1970 with subsequent additions to the collection over the next 26 years. The linen collection serves to illustrate the creative and determined spirit of South Dakota people.