Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORASP) Proposal Development Resources, SDSU
Office of Grants and Contracts Budget Development, SDSU
Additional links below provide access to a variety of guides, manuals, and samples that will help you develop targeted, compelling grant proposals.
General Grant Writing
- The Art of Grantsmanshipby Jacob Kraicer
- The Craft of Grant Writing, Texas A&M
- The Grant Proposal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Grant Writing for Engineers
- Handbook for Proposal Writers and Project Directors, Eastern Michigan University
- Proposal Writer's Guide, University of Michigan
National Science Foundation
- The revised NSF Grant Proposal Guide (GPG) went into effect on January 30, 2017. It provides guidance for the preparation and submission of proposals to NSF.
- A Guide for Proposal Writing, NSFDivision of Undergraduate Education
- Tips and Guidelines for a Standard NSF Proposal, Northern Illinois University
- Twelve Steps to a Winning Research Proposalby George Hazelreig, NSF program officer
National Institutes of Health
- All About Grants Tutorials, NIH research project grant
- Hints for Writing Successful NIH Grants by Ellen Barrett
- National Cancer Institute: Quick Guide for Grant Applications
- New NIH Proposal Format and Review Process - Video and PPT: What Applicants Need to Know
- NIH Grant Writing Tips Sheets
- NIH Grant Review Process Videos
- When preparing your NIH proposal, be sure to study the guidelines in the SF 424 Application Guide.
- Check out this one-page guide on how to address rigor and reproducibility in your NIH application. It is also available as a PDF in the document library to the right.
- The Foundation Center Proposal Writing Short Course; also available as an audio book
- The Grantsmanship Center webpage
- National Network of Grantmakers: NNG Common Grant Application - This common grant application form is accepted by a number of foundations. It can also be useful in organizing the information needed in a project proposal.
- Writing a Successful Grant Proposal, Minnesota Council on Foundations
- Budget Development and Guidance, Appalachian State University
- Budget Justifications, Northern Illinois University
- NSF Budget and Budget Justification guidance, NSF
Writing Style Guides
- The Department Of Energy's Style Guide features formatting, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and language guidelines.
- American Scientist published "The Science of Scientific Writing," which encourages writers to keep reader expectations in mind.