2019–2020 Estimated Costs for Students
The following is the 2019–2020 estimated annual cost for international students attending South Dakota State University. Tuition, fees, room and board charges are subject to changes are published annually by the South Dakota Board of Regents and annual increases of up to 5% should be expected.
|Undergraduate||Graduate||Graduate, with Assistantship||ESL|
|15 credit hours||9 credit hours||9 credit hours||21 hours|
General Activity Fee
|International Student Fee||$100||$100||$100||included|
|Premier Meal Plan||$2,085||$2,000**||$2,000**||$2,085|
|Semester tuition, fees and living costs||$11,839||$12,088||$6,260||$10,842|
|Yearly Health Insurance (Mandatory)***|
|Annual Cost of Attendance|
* Based on 15 credit hours per semester of general courses which is required for 4-year graduation. Please visit Undergraduate Tuition and Fees by Major to determine actual costs by major. Programs such as Aviation and Architecture have significantly higher costs. Please see below for special programs with higher estimated costs of attendance.
**On campus graduate housing is very limited, please refer to Living wage Calculator for Brookings County, South Dakota for estimated room and board costs.
Students should allow for personal expenses, which can run from $500 to $2,000 per year.
Additional Estimates Annual Expenses:
|Living Expenses for Dependent Spouse||$9,555.00|
|Living Expenses for Each Dependent Child||$6,627.00|
If you are self-funded (the bank documents are in your name), you must provide evidence that you can fund your entire duration of study. To determine this amount, multiply your total costs with dependents as follows:
Undergraduate and PhD x 5 or Master's Degree x 3
- Insurance quotes are based on GeoBlue Basic Plan.
- Please contact for rates on applicants over 40 years of age.
- Mandatory University Insurance must be purchased through and not from another agency — either in your country or in the United States, unless eligible for the Federal Exchange. Please check the site for updated rates and policy changes. Age is a factor for insurance fees.
- Students who have been in the US for more than 5 years as an F1 Student or more than 2 years as a J1 Student/Scholar are required by law to purchase an insurance plan that meets the Affordable Care Act requirements. The GeoBlue Enhanced Plan meets this requirement. Please contact for rates. (Students that meet the 5 and 2 year requirement are eligible to purchase Health Insurance through the Federal Exchange).
- Dependent (spouse or child) plans can be purchased from . Dependents are required to show proof of insurance. The insurance will be required to be on file.
Special Programs with higher estimated costs of attendance:
Accelerated Nursing Cost Estimate
|Tuition & Fees||$31,516.20||$31,516.20||$31,516.20|
|Room & Board||$9,000||$9,000||$9,000|
Architecture Annual Cost Estimate
|Tuition & Fees||$19,590.25||$19,590.25||$19,590.25|
|Room & Board||$8,419.30||$8,419.30||$8,419.30|
Aviation Education Specialization Annual Cost Estimate
|Tuition & Fees||$31,971||$31,971||$31,971|
|Room & Board||$8,194||$8,194||$8,194|
It is advisable to bring traveler's checks, an international credit card, and a small amount of cash for immediate expenses of hotel, food, and transportation. The remainder of your money should be in the form of an international bank transfer from your home account to your U.S. bank account (after established) The money will then be available to you in 48 to 72 hours.
International Affairs & Outreach
South Dakota State University
H.M. Briggs Library 119
Box 2115 Brookings, SD 57007