2017–2018 Estimated Costs for Students
The following is the 2017–2018 estimated annual cost for international students attending South Dakota State University. Tuition, fees, room and board charges are subject to changes are published annually by the South Dakota Board of Regents and annual increases of up to 5% should be expected.
|Undergraduate||Graduate||Graduate, with Assistantship||ESL|
|15 credit hours||9 credit hours||9 credit hours||21 hours|
General Activity Fee
|International Student Fee||$100||$100||$100||included|
|Premier Meal Plan||$2,032||$2,032**||$2,032**||$2,032|
|Semester tuition, fees and living costs||$11,640||$11,613||$6,168||$10,987|
|Yearly Health Insurance (Mandatory)***|
|up to 25||$624||$624||$624||$624|
|Annual Cost of Attendance|
* Based on 15 credit hours per semester of general courses which is required for 4-year graduation. Please visit Undergraduate Tuition and Fees by Major to determine actual costs by major. Programs such as Aviation and Architecture have significantly higher costs.
**On campus graduate housing is very limited, please refer to Living wage Calculator for Brookings County, South Dakota for estimated room and board costs.
Students should allow for personal expenses, which can run from $500 to $2,000 per year.
Additional Estimates Annual Expenses:
|Living Expenses for Dependent Spouse||$9,555.00|
|Living Expenses for Each Dependent Child||$6,627.00|
If you are self-funded (the bank documents are in your name), you must provide evidence that you can fund your entire duration of study. To determine this amount, multiply your total costs with dependents as follows:
Undergraduate and PhD x 5 or Master's Degree x 3
- Insurance quotes are based on ISO Med for South Dakota. Please click here for information about the ISO-Care plan.
- Mandatory University Insurance must be purchased through ISO Student Insurance at www.isoa.org and not from another agency — either in your country or in the United States, unless eligible for the Federal Exchange. Please check the site for updated rates and policy changes. Age is a factor for insurance fees.
- Students who have been in the US for more than 5 years as an F1 Student or more than 2 years as a J1 Student/Scholar are required by law to purchase an insurance plan that meets the Affordable Care Act requirements. The ISO CARE Plan meets this requirement. This plan (Through ISO Insurance) starts at $85.00 per month for those ages 24 & under; $179.00 per month for those ages 25–29; and, $339.00 per month for those ages 30 & over. (Students that meet the 5 and 2 year requirement are eligible to purchase Health Insurance through the Federal Exchange).
- Dependent (spouse or child) plans can be purchased from ISO Student Insurance. Dependents are required to show proof of insurance. The insurance will be required to be on file.
It is advisable to bring traveler's checks, an international credit card, and a small amount of cash for immediate expenses of hotel, food, and transportation. The remainder of your money should be in the form of an international bank transfer from your home account to your U.S. bank account (after established) The money will then be available to you in 48 to 72 hours.
International Affairs & Outreach
South Dakota State University
H.M. Briggs Library 119
Box 2115 Brookings, SD 57007