J-1 Scholars Check-In Procedures
Welcome to campus! We trust that your international journey was un-eventful and that you are well. When you arrive on campus, we would request that you stop by the office so we can complete some check in paperwork. This will be vital to activating your SEVIS record and ensuring that you are legally present in the US.
On the date of arrival (or the next business day), the J-1 Exchange Visitor will check in with the Office of International Affairs in Briggs Library, Suite 119. The Office of International Affairs must validate your SEVIS record to indicate that you have arrived on campus. As mentioned before, failure to do so may result in the loss of your legal status. While our office will attempt to prevent this from happening, it is your responsibility to check in with our office at the beginning of your program.
During Check-in, J-1 Exchange Visitors must bring the following documents: copy of passport, Visa, and DS-2019. Our staff will photocopy your documents and you will meet with an advisor. They will talk about requirements you must follow while participating in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program.
During your initial visit you will complete the following checklist:
- Complete Current Address Form
- Sign Statement of Responsibility
- Complete I-94 Form and Print
- Receive Packet with Campus Map and Instructions
- Schedule Health Insurance Appointment
- Take Student/Staff ID Photo (Card Services, Student Union)
- Complete Immunization and TB Test (Wellness Center)
- Complete Social Security Info Sheet
- Upon receiving Social Security Number, bring a copy to Morrill Hall 306.
- Check in with Advisor
- Receive Department of State Welcome Sheet
The Office of International Affairs (OIA) is a comprehensive home for international student and scholar services, international undergraduate admission, study abroad planning and community connections programs. Find contact information, hours of operations and location by visiting the About Us page.