Skip to main content

F-1 & J-1 Students: Immigration Regulations

Maintaining Your Status

The Office of International Affairs can help you maintain your status; however, the United States Citizen and Immigration Services has made it clear that it is your responsibility to comply with all immigration regulations that apply to non-immigrant students. 

If you are not sure whether something you are about to do is permissible, please ask us before taking that action. In order to remain in the U.S. legally and be eligible for various immigration benefits in the future, it is necessary for you to follow the regulations. If you you lose your legal immigration status, you will not be able to work on or off campus, engage in practical/academic training, apply for a change of status to another visa category in the future and you may be required to leave the U.S. 

The four basic ways to maintain your status are: 

  • Have a valid passport.
  • Have a valid I-20 or DS-2019.
  • Enroll in enough credits.
  • Work legally.

For more information on maintaining your status, review the immigration basics for your visa type:

F-1 Students  J-1 Students

Regaining Your Legal Status

There are certain circumstances in which an F-1 or J-1 student/scholar can regain his or her legal status - this is referred to as being reinstated. Please review the guidelines if you feel you are currently out of status.

reinstatement guidelines