We are happy you are applying for admission to SDSU. We want to make this process as easy as possible.
Complete the application, *fee payment and document submission as described below.
- 1. Complete application.
Please use Application Fee Waiver Code: Global Start
- Fall (August) Application Deadline: June 15
- Spring (January) Application Deadline: November 15
- 2. Submit English proficiency through ONE of the following options:
- Official TOEFL iBT (sent from the testing agency): 61*
- Official TOEFL PBT (sent from the testing agency): 500*
- Official Pearson PTE (sent from the testing agency): 44
- Scanned Academic IELTS result with clear TRF: 5.5*
- Online E3PT Exam (sent from the testing agency): 62
- Online iTEP Exam (sent from the testing agency): 3.6
- Duolingo (sent from the testing agency): 90
*Note: TOEFL or Academic IELTS scores must be submitted within two years of examination date.
Institution code for SDSU is 6653 for TOEFL. Certified true copies may be submitted for initial review.
- 3. Submit all academic transcripts, certificates, diplomas (including secondary and post-secondary).
We require original or attested copies of academic records at the time of application.
- 4. Complete and submit the Financial Certification Form.
- 5. Submit Current Bank Documents to support the amount listed on the Financial Certification*.
The bank documents must meet the following requirements:
- Bank Statement or Bank Letter with signatures and bank seal or stamp
- Clearly list the type of currency and amount of funds
- Match the name of the signer on the Financial Certification
- Have an issue date within 6 months of the receipt of the application
- Written in English or provided with a certified translation
- 6. Submit a copy of your passport biographical page.
Please submit a copy of your passport biographical page.
- 7. Submit a copy of your I-20.
Submit a copy of your I-20 if you are currently in the U.S.
* 2019-2020 The Estimated cost of attendance for an average plan of study is $24,436 - $24,925, depending on the applicant's age (not including dependents). See the amount required for I-20 issuance.
Submitting Materials and Documents
You may email documents to SDSU.IntlStud@sdstate.edu as high-quality scans submitted as PDF file type for review.
- No cell phone images or camscans please – they will not work with our image storage system.
- Camscans, jpegs, low-quality images, etc. are not compatible with our imaging system and cannot be accepted.
- If you do not have a high-quality scanner, please visit a library or copy store.
- If that is not available, please send all the hard copies.
Office of International Affairs
South Dakota State University
Box 2115 - Briggs Library, Suite 119
1300 North Campus Dr
Brookings, SD 57007
Documents can be submitted separately and we will match them with your file. Processing times vary based on volume.
SDSU accepts applications for two-semester start dates: Fall Semester (starting late August) and Spring Semester (starting early January).
- Fall Semester Applications - Due June 15
- Spring Semester Applications - Due November 15
Look for our admissions communications via email. You must submit a valid email address and set it to accept group distribution. Please add our email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) to your address book so that messages are not filtered into junk or spam.