We are happy you are applying for admission to SDSU. We want to make this process as easy as possible. Please register and complete the online application and fee payment and submit documents from step three (3) on OR complete the paper application process starting with step one (1) below.
1. Complete application.
*Fall (August) Application Deadline: June 15 *Spring (January) Application Deadline: November 15
2. Pay $20 non-refundable application fee.
3. Submit English proficiency through ONE of the following options:
- Official TOEFL iBT (sent from testing agency): 61*
- Official TOEFL PBT (sent from testing agency): 500*
- Official Pearson PTE (sent from testing agency): 44
- Scanned Academic IELTS result with clear TRF: 5.5*
- Pass SDSU ESL Level 3 + Exit exam (Conditional ESL + Undergrad admission)
*Note: TOEFL or Academic IELTS scores must be submitted within two years of examination date.
Institution code for SDSU is 6653 for TOEFL. Certified true copies may be submitted for initial review.
*Click HERE for full proficiency test list and waiver countries.
4. Submit all academic transcripts, certificates, diplomas (including secondary and post-secondary).
We require original or attested copies of academic records at time of application.
5. Complete and Submit the Financial Certification Form.
6. Submit Current Bank Documents to support the amount listed on the Financial Certification*.
The bank documents must meet the following requirements:
a. Original (Hard Copy) Bank Statement or Bank Letter with original signatures and bank seal or stamp
b. Clearly list the type of currency and amount of funds
c. Match the name of the signor on the Financial Certification
d. Have an issue date within 6 months of the receipt of the application
e. Written in English or provided with a certified translation
7. Submit a copy of your passport biographical page
8. Submit a copy of your I-20 if you are currently in the US
* 2017-2018 Estimated cost of attendance for an average plan of study is $23,904 - $25,068, depending on applicant's age (not including dependents). Click HERE to see the amount required for I-20 issuance.
Submitting Materials & Documents
Express Review your application! Mail all documents together and get a decision in days not weeks.
Print Express Review Cover Sheet HERE.
Office of International Affairs
South Dakota State University
Box 2115 - Briggs Library, Suite 119
1300 North Campus Drive
Brookings, SD 57007
Documents can be submitted separately and we will match them with your file. Processing times vary based on volume.
SDSU accepts applications for two semester start dates: Fall Semester (starting late August) and Spring Semester (starting early January).
Fall Semester Applications - Due June 15
- Spring Semester Applications - Due November 15
Look for our admissions communications via email. You must submit a valid email address and set it to accept group distribution. Please add our email address (email@example.com) to your address book so that messages are not filtered into Junk or Spam.