Hometown: Redfield, SD
Henry H. DeLong received two degrees from SDSC and earned his M.S. from the University of Minnesota in 1941. Mr. DeLong’s first position was as a 4-H agent in the Faulkton and Mitchell, SD, areas in 1930. In 1935, he was an assistant in agricultural engineering at SDSC and became an Agricultural Engineer in 1938. In 1945, he served as the SDSC Agricultural Engineering Department Chairman and Professor. Professor Emeritus DeLong worked on cold air crop drying as a means of minimizing farm operating costs. He also promoted the development and use of electricity on South Dakota Farms. He designed the preliminary layout and space analysis for the present Agricultural Engineering Building at SDSU and was an international authority on rammed earth farm building with much of the research done at the SDSU Agricultural Engineering Department. He was a member of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, the American Society of Engineering Education and a Fellow of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers. In addition, he received the Distinguished Service Award from East River Power Cooperative.