Prepare to play a role in shaping our world.
Globalization, which has occurred over centuries, accelerated dramatically in the last half of the 20th century and was stimulated by rapid transportation and technological developments, leading to instant communication between all parts of the world. The Global Studies major aligns with the land-grant mission of South Dakota State University to encourage international and intercultural understanding consistent with the increasing cultural, economic, and political interdependence of the modern world. The Global Studies major integrates content and theory from a variety of disciplines leading to a comprehensive understanding of the diverse but interrelated processes of globalization. You will also develop what employers call desirable “soft skills” such as empathy, creativity, mental flexibility, critical thinking, and intercultural communication strategies. To further help you prepare for careers in everything from business to engineering to health care, the global studies major requires a study abroad component, which can range from 1 month, to 1 semester, or even a full academic year. The Global Studies program offers flexibility and can easily complement another major or minor.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Like to travel, broaden your horizons and engage with diversity
- Want to learn about cultures around the world
- Are interested in global issues and how the world is impacted by globalization
- Want to work internationally
- Want to develop your listening, reading, writing, critical thinking, and overall communication skills
- International Education (teaching ESL overseas, nonprofit organization, NGO)
- Healthcare (doctor, nurse, physician’s assistant, physical therapist, etc.)
- International business (sales, trade, etc.)
- Tourism industry (director, hotel management, travel agent, tour guide, etc.)
- International Development (health care, community education, human rights agencies, NGO, nonprofit, etc.)
- US Department of State
- Embassy of Japan
- City of Volga, SD
- Senator Tim Johnson
- Great Plains Tribal Chairmen’s Health Board
- Nonprofit organizations in the US or overseas
- Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in the US and overseas
- U.S. Department of State
- Select a Modern Language (French Studies, German, or Spanish)
- Leadership and Management of Nonprofit Organizations
- Political Science
- Aerospace Studies/Military Science
Clubs and Organizations
- Global Studies Club
- International Relations Club
- Spanish, French, German Clubs
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.