Oftentimes, an organization’s image is just as important as its product.
Public relations involves managing relationships between organizations and their stakeholders. The Public Relations major will prepare students for careers in public relations and marketing communications. This major prepares students with essential written and visual communication, critical thinking, strategy, design, and research skills for careers in public relations and marketing communications. The Public Relations major addresses both economic and societal issues, emphasizes the importance of market research, and includes experiential learning opportunities.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy working with people
- Are a strong writer
- Are a creative thinker
- Have solid verbal and interpersonal skills
- Have an interest in the media
- Public relations specialist
- Media relations manager
- Marketing and communication specialist or manager
- Press secretary and campaign manager
- Social media coordinator
- SDN Communications
- Sanford Health
- Caliber Creative
- SDSU Sports Information
- Mankato United Soccer Club
- South Dakota Art Museum
- University Marketing and Communications
- Downtown Brookings
- Graphic Design
- Digital and Social Media
- Events and Facilities Administration
- Leadership and Management of Nonprofit Organizations
- Health Communication
- Communication Studies
Clubs and Organizations
- Public Relations Student Society of America
- Advertising Club
- Journalism Club
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.