- Brookings Main Campus
Lead with Spanish
In today’s global economy, the ability to speak Spanish is an extremely valuable skill, both in the United States and abroad: Spanish is spoken in 28 countries by over 740 million people, and the US in now the second largest Spanish-speaking country in the world. In this program, you will learn to effectively speak, read and write in Spanish, with courses in conversation, grammar, reading comprehension, culture and literature. Our curriculum will also help you develop what employers call desirable “soft skills” such as empathy, creativity, mental flexibility, critical thinking, and intercultural communication strategies. To further advance your Spanish language and cultural competence and to prepare for careers in everything from business to engineering to health care, you can take advantage of our summer-, semester-, and year-long study abroad opportunities throughout Spain and Latin America. The Spanish major offers great flexibility and can easily be added to another major.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Want to learn about cultures that speak Spanish in North America, Europe, and the Caribbean
- Like to travel, broaden your horizons and engage with diversity
- Are interested in working internationally
- Want to understand how the Spanish-speaking world impacts and is shaped by globalization
- Seek to gain proficiency in the Spanish language and increase your communication skills in any job
- Translator or interpreter for the public or private sector
- Healthcare: doctor, nurse, physician’s assistant, physical therapist, Doctors without Borders
- International business: sales, merchandise specialist
- Tourism industry: director, hotel management, travel agent, tour guide
- International Development: health care, community education, human rights agencies
- E.F. Explore America
- Enterprise Holdings, Inc.
- World Learning
- Target Corporation
- Hy-Vee Pharmacy
- Cancer Support Center (Costa Rica)
- Agricultural Animal Care Center (Peru)
- Youth Development and After-School Programs (Costa Rica, Peru, and Spain)
- Dental and Medical Clinics (Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Peru and Spain)
- Sports Management and Marketing (Spain)
Suggested Dual Majors
Clubs and Organizations
- Spanish Club
- Sigma Delta Pi Spanish Honor Society
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.