- Brookings Main Campus
Lead with Spanish
In today’s global economy, the ability to speak Spanish is an extremely valuable skill, both in the United States and abroad: Spanish is spoken in 28 countries by over 740 million people, and the US in now the second largest Spanish-speaking country in the world. In this program, you will learn to effectively speak, read and write in Spanish, with courses in conversation, grammar, reading comprehension, culture and literature. Our curriculum will also help you develop what employers call desirable “soft skills” such as empathy, creativity, mental flexibility, critical thinking, and intercultural communication strategies. To further advance your Spanish language and cultural competence and to prepare for a teaching career either in the US or abroad, you can take advantage of our summer-, semester-, and year-long study abroad opportunities throughout Spain and Latin America. The Spanish major offers great flexibility and can easily be added to another major.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Want to gain proficiency in the Spanish language
- Are interested in learning and teaching about cultures that speak Spanish
- Enjoy being in a classroom environment
- Want to engage with diversity
- Want to work in the US or abroad teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) or Spanish as a Foreign Language
- Spanish teacher
- English as a second language teacher
- Tourism director
- Community outreach for non-profit organizations
- CO, IA, MN, and SD School Districts
- Youth Development and After-School Programs (Costa Rica, Peru, and Spain)
- English Language Institute (Chile, Costa Rica, and Spain)
- Bilingual School (Costa Rica, Peru)
- Public School Teacher’s Assistant (Chile, Costa Rica, Peru, Spain)
Clubs and Organizations
- Spanish Club
- Sigma Delta Pi Spanish Honor Society
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.