The School of American and Global Studies prepares critical thinkers and proficient researchers who are culturally literate and globally engaged. Faculty teach, conduct research and disseminate scholarship on the cultural, historical, linguistic, philosophical, political and religious systems that sustain U.S. and global societies. Through service and outreach, faculty share this knowledge to benefit South Dakota, the nation and the world.
The School of American and Global Studies will be a premier center for cultivating regionally, nationally and globally engaged citizen scholars.
- Act with organizational and personal integrity, through honest interactions, professionalism, transparent and evidence-based reasoning and respect for others; and
- Practice civility and trustworthiness.
Diversity and Inclusion
- Demonstrate respect for the diversity of peoples, cultures and ideas in a global society; and
- Create a supportive, inclusive, collaborative and accessible environment.
Research and Scholarship
- Conduct research and evaluate information by methods appropriate to the disciplines in which we work;
- Contribute to and disseminate knowledge appropriate to our disciplines; and
- Think critically, creatively and independently.
Civic Engagement and Outreach
- Engage stakeholders by making the School’s opportunities available through creative forms of outreach;
- Encourage lifelong learning and engagement through reflective practice; and
- Improve the quality of life for citizens and communities in South Dakota, the nation and the world.