Learn by Performing, Creating, Analyzing and Listening
As a music major, you will learn by performing, creating, analyzing and listening to music. You will refine your talent as a musician through intensive training and build a strong foundation in the humanities and social sciences, with courses in theory, history and performance. The Music Entrepreneurship Specialization is designed for students who enjoy music but want a career option outside of performing or teaching music. The program prepares students for careers in music manufacturing, retail sales, music production, publishing, arts management, industry, and a variety of other fields. An on-the-job internship experience is included as part of the professional requirement for the degree.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Have prior training in music, such as in a high school music program
- Enjoy performing in groups
- Enjoy working in the world of business and with other artistic people
- Are disciplined, self- motivated, and hard-working
- Sales manager
- Facilities manager
- Arts administrator
- Event production
- Arts marketing
- Norwegian Cruise Lines
- Sweetwater Sound
- Conference Technologies, Inc.
- Sioux Falls Blues and Jazz Society
- Washington Pavilion
- Results Radio
- Sweetwater Sound
- Wenger Corp.
- Performing Arts Administration
- Leadership and Management of Nonprofit Organizations
Clubs and Organizations
- Music Entrepreneurship Club
- Tau Beta Sigma
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.