Whether you aspire for a career on the stage or behind the curtain, this program will help you develop the creative talent, technical skills and performance experiences for a future in professional theater. Students in this major are exposed and participate in all aspects of theatre, through a broad-based education. Students will gain practical experience with the newest techniques and technology of theatre. In this major, the hands-on education involves participation in State University Theatre and Prairie Repertory Theatre. The major offers flexibility and can easily be added to another major.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Have previous drama experience
- Enjoy live theatre, television, and film
- Have an artistic personality
- Are self-disciplined
- Are committed to developing your talent
- Stage manager
- Creative director
- Disney and MGM Studios
- Park Square Theatre
- Artisan for Redbull Theatre Co., Theatre for a New Audience, The Public Theatre, and Second Stage
- Frankel Green Theatrical Management / Richard Frankel Productions
- Sioux Falls Orpheum Theatre Center
- Communication Studies
- Professional Writing
- Film Studies
Clubs and Organizations
- Alpha Psi Omega
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.