Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Music Questions

May I join a band, orchestra or choir without majoring in music?

Any SDSU student may enroll in a music ensemble. In fact, there are currently over forty different academic majors represented in the music student population. In addition, ensemble credits may be used to fulfill specific undergraduate general education requirements. Some ensembles (e.g. Pride of the Dakotas, Women’s Chorus, SDSU Statesmen, Orchestra and Concert Band) are open enrollment. Other ensembles (e.g. Concert Choir, Symphonic Band and Jazz Ensembles) require an audition for placement.

May I audition for a scholarship without declaring music as a major?

Over $100,000 in music scholarships are awarded each year to both returning and new students. Students need not major in music to be considered for a scholarship, but scholarships are competitive. The size of a scholarship is dependent upon the results of a scholarship audition. Academic achievement and departmental need may also be considered. See the Scholarship page for more information and audition dates.  

May I take private music lessons, and is there an additional fee?

Any student may enroll in applied music lessons (MUAP courses). However, priority for applied study is granted to students pursuing a major or minor in music. Non-major registrations for applied lessons in voice or piano are especially rare, due to their popularity and current staffing. However, unlike other institutions, applied music registration at SDSU does not require an additional fee.  

Does the University own any musical instruments for my use?

The University owns a large inventory of musical instruments for student use. The Pride of the Dakotas, in particular, owns a complete set of instruments for all sections of the band. Using an instrument requires the completion of check-out form and enrollment in an ensemble. Quality acoustical pianos, many of which are less than five years old, are available in our practice facility. Registration in a music class and a reservation is required to access this area.  

When does a specific ensemble practice?

All ensemble schedules are found through the University-managed website, Self Service, and are cataloged under the prefix MUEN. Prospective students may access Self Service without a password by entering through the “Prospective Students” portal.

What types of Music Appreciation courses are offered?

For students interested in completing their Humanities and Arts System General Education Requirement with a music class, there are several options. Some of the most popular are Music Literature I (World Music); History of Country Music; Music Appreciation and Blues, Jazz and Rock.