- Brookings Main Campus
To make an impact - teaching.
The Music Education program is recommended for students interested in becoming certified to teach elementary and secondary school music. An emphasis in choral or instrumental teaching may be elected, or, by adding appropriate hours, students may prepare in both areas. Those preparing in both areas must complete both choral and instrumental music education sequences, including both sets of pedagogies.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Have a passion for music and want to share that passion with others
- Possess prior training in music, such as in a high school music program
- Are interested in teaching in public or parochial schools
- Are disciplined, self-motivated, and hard-working
- Music director
- SD, MN, and IA School Districts
Clubs and Organizations
- National Association for Music Education
- Music Teachers National Association
- Tau Beta Sigma
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.