Creating the future of agriculture.
Agricultural Systems Technology (AST) offers hands-on, real world experience with the latest agricultural equipment, software, facilities, and techniques. Industry feedback on class content coupled with strong student support prepares for their dream profession. Students get a flexible program with opportunities to establish their network of leading agriculture professionals.
With job placement consistently near 100%, AST offers job security across a wide variety of agriculture professions. Some students want to learn how to improve their family farm and ranch operations while others want to start their own agriculture business. We help students develop strong managerial, leadership, interpersonal and communication skills to go anywhere they want in agriculture. Our graduates stand apart from other degrees because they have a strong, versatile foundation of both technical and agriculture business skills. Many graduates balance their career and continue helping with farming and ranching operations.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Like getting hands-on to learn how things work
- Are passionate about agriculture
- Enjoy working outside and with the latest ag technology
- Are a creative problem solver
- Comfortable with math and sciences
- Manager of Business Operations, Sales and Support, or Implement Dealership
- Large Ag Equipment Manufacturing or Sales Representative
- Crop Advisor
- Plant Production Supervisor
- Family farms
- John Deere
- Case IH
- Archer Daniels Midland (ADM)
- Butler Machinery
- Precision Planting
- Local Cooperatives
- Climate Corp
Clubs and Organizations
- ABE Department Student Club
- Quarter Scale Tractor Team
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.