The Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering's Senior Design Capstone students have been fortunate to have exceptional engagement from industry partners. Each year, our students benefit from the opportunity to collaborate with industry members to develop, design, and execute solutions for real-world problems. The Capstone process involves meetings throughout the semester to ensure that design teams take into account industry guidelines and project-specific limitations as they tackle the challenges of agricultural production and processing.
Benefits of sponsoring projects:
- Gain insights into your challenges from new perspectives with nominal outlay.
- Recruit top-tier students who could be future employees.
- Influence curriculum to ensure students are prepared for industry careers.
- Expand visibility and esteem of your organization within South Dakota State University and across the state.
- Develop partnerships with faculty for potential future collaborations.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What are the requirements of a sponsor?
Sponsor organizations provide at least one point-person to represent their organization. This person facilitates regular conversations between the student team and the organization.
What are the financial requirements?
Sponsors provide funding to build prototypes and physical mock-ups. ABE facilities and access to SDSU faculty are provided at no cost to the sponsor.
Who owns any Intellectual Property (IP) developed during the project?
Sponsors typically maintain full rights to all IP developed as a result of the project. If requested, we can minimize public exposure of full results to only student participants and advising faculty.
For more information, please contact Douglas Prairie.
Who have our industry sponsors been?
Here are a few recent examples:
- AGCO Corporation
- City of Mitchell (Mitchell, SD)
- CNH Industrial (Benson, MN)
- Diamond Mowers (Sioux Falls, SD)
- Load King (Elk Point, SD)
- POET, LLC (Sioux Falls, SD)
- Raven Industries (Sioux Falls, SD)
- Sioux Steel (Sioux Falls, SD)
- Thor Manufacturing Ltd. (Winnipeg, MB)
- Vermeer (Pella, IA)