Help improve tomorrow's agricultural practices.
The Precision Agriculture major prepares students for careers that bridge the gaps between agronomy, agriculture machinery management, and data sciences caused by the rapid evolution of high-speed sensor technology. South Dakota State University offers the first-in-the-nation Bachelor of Science degree in Precision Agriculture. SDSU is leading the nation as the first land grant university to offer both a major and minor in precision agriculture. Precision technology and training are key to increasing farm profitability and will play a major role in ecosystem sustainability. Agriculture is experiencing a fast-paced evolution as technology continues to develop. Precision agriculture has emerged with an array of new and exciting – and increasingly high-tech – tools. The integration of computer technology with farm equipment, farm sensors, GPS navigation, satellite imagery and drone imagery are quickly revolutionizing agricultural production.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy working with technology to improve production
- Enjoy learning new things
- Like working in the field to solve problems
- Like working in a fast-paced environment
- Enjoy working with computers
- Farm Cooperatives
- Farm Equipment Dealerships
- Ag Data analysis and mapping specialists
- Ag Equipment Manufacturers
- Self Employed Precision Ag Consultant
- Raven Industries
- Agtegra (formerly Wheat Growers)
- John Deere
- Case New Holland
- Farmers Business Network
- South Dakota State University
- AGCO Corp
- Ziegler CAT
- RDO Equipment
- Crystal Valley COOP
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Agricultural Business
- Applied Statistics
Clubs and Organizations
- ABE Department Student Club
- Agronomy Club
- Quarter Scale Tractor Team
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.