A new and forming club or organization must have three things to begin the recognition process:
- Seven (7) charter members who are currently enrolled students at SDSU.
- A full-time faculty or staff member of SDSU who is willing to serve as advisor the group. This advisor will serve as a main liaison between the club and SDSU.
- A proposed constitution for the organization. The organization will need to follow the Constitution Template (located on the Office of Student Activities page on Jacks Club Hub, under Documents).
Once these things are in place, the organization should fill out an Application for Recognition (located on the Office of Student Activities page on Jacks Club Hub, under Documents) and submit it, along with the proposed constitution, to the Office of Student Activities for review.
The Office of Student Activities staff will verify that the above requirements have been completed. At this time, if an organization requests it, an OSA staff member may grant provisional status to the organization for thirty (30) days. Please note the following regarding provisional status:
- Use of SDSU facilities is granted when reserved by an officer or advisor for member recruitment or organization meetings only
- This does not allow the organization to: sponsor events, reserve motor pool vehicles, travel to an event as an organization, open an account (on- or off campus), or raise funds
The Office of Student Activities will forward the completed recognition documents first to the Organizational Subcommittee (Org Sub). This committee will meet within three weeks to make recommendations and comments on the organization’s request for recognition. The Organizational Subcommittee will notify the organization of the meeting at which the group’s constitution will be reviewed. At least one member of the group must be in attendance to answer any questions or to provide further information. The Organizational Subcommittee shall make recommendations for the group to continue through the recognition process.
Once the Organizational Subcommittee has recommended a group to proceed with the recognition process, the Office of Student Activities will forward the recognition documents to the Students’ Association (SA) to be reviewed. The group’s request for recognition will be added to the agenda of a Students’ Association meeting, and at least one member of the group must be present at this meeting.
Upon receipt of recommendations and comments from Org Sub and SA, the Senior Director of the Union will either grant full recognition, deny recognition, or continue provisional recognition (if an extension is needed). The Senior Director of the Union will notify the organization and other appropriate offices of the outcome of the organization’s request for recognition.
With the granting of full recognition, the organization must maintain the following requirements:
- Register the organization on Jacks Club Hub within 2 weeks of receiving recognition. A re-registration must be completed each academic year when officer positions transition.
- Maintain an updated organization constitution. Every time the document is revised, a new version must be submitted to the Office of Student Activities. Large, structural changes to the document may require Org Sub approval.
- Maintain active membership of at least seven (7) enrolled SDSU students
- Retain one (1) full-time faculty or staff member to serve as advisor
- Uphold all South Dakota State University and Board of Regents policies, including but not limited to SDBOR Policy 3:4(3)(J) and University Policy 3:1(3)(f)(xi) (Conduct by Organizations).
- Continue to comply with SDBOR Policy 3:18 to maintain your recognized status
- Ability to open an on-campus account
- Ability to reserve meeting and event space for free or discounted price
- Ability to advertise on campus and through Jacks Club Hub
- Ability to apply for funding through the Students’ Association.
- Ability to request a RSO mailbox through the Office of Student Activities
- Ability to reserve a motor pool vehicle