The SDSU Accounts Payable Office manages the payments for all goods and services purchased by the university as well as reimbursements to individuals for travel expenses and goods purchased personally. Feel free to contact our office at 688-6275 for assistance.
Most local businesses will allow you to charge on account since you have funds held in an SDSU account. If the business requires a credit application, in order to establish an account for your student club, forward the application to SDSU Accounts Payable, Box 2201, Brookings SD 57007.
If a business will not allow you to charge, and an individual uses a personal credit card or cash, obtain a paid receipt to turn in for reimbursement.
Follow purchasing guidelines, for any purchases made over $1000. Please refer to the purchasing section for further details.
- Food is an allowable expense for club events.
- This would include food purchased for club meetings, special programs or organized events for the club that is open to everyone in that club.
- Documentation: Obtain an invoice, either from the business or your receipt if paid personally.
- Thorough documentation is important for all food related purchases.
- Describe the event and who is attending (students, advisors, faculty, etc). Write explanation directly on the invoice.
- Coding Pay from your student club index (336Zxx). Use account code 744630.
Clothing purchased for club use is allowed. This would include clothing promoting the club or advertising a specific club event.
- Obtain an invoice, either from the business or your receipt if paid personally
- Thorough documentation is important for all clothing purchases
- Document the club’s purpose for the clothing
- Describe who is receiving the clothing
- Write explanation directly on the invoice
- Ensure proper approval for SDSU logos and using a licensed vendor (See Purchasing guidelines)
- Pay from your student club index (336Zxx)
- Use account code 744630
- Clothing Provided to Employees policy
There may be taxable benefit implications if the clothing is provided to a student employee
If your student group travels, you will need to be aware of several travel policies and procedures. Please contact either Robin at 688-4669 or Janet at 688-4728 for complete information.
- Follow allowable per diem for travel outside of Brookings
- For student travel, use account code 733090 for instate travel and 733290 for student out-of-state travel
If an employee travels, use appropriate travel account codes such as 733140/733150/733340/733350/733130/733330
- Awards and prizes are an allowable expense for a student club as long as the activity is open to all club members.
- Refer to the policy regarding the distribution of awards and prizes to ensure compliance with IRS regulations see the policy here
- Thoroughly document the reason for award or prize
- When paid to non-employees through Accounts Payable use account code 766450
- Describe who is receiving the award or prize
- Write an explanation directly on the invoice
Please note supply (including clothing) or service purchases over $1,000 and any computer purchase will need bids, please contact, the purchasing office for assistance with this