- Brookings Main Campus
Make a positive environmental impact with a degree in ecology and environmental science.
Ecology is the study of interactions between organisms and their environment. Environmental science is the interdisciplinary study of how the earth works, how we interact with the earth, and how we can deal with the environmental problems we face.
Most students enrolled in this major are planning careers with state and federal natural resource agencies, consulting firms and industry. Many go on to pursue graduate degrees in conservation, ecology and environmental science.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy working outdoors
- Enjoy working with plants, animals, and their habitats
- Enjoy working with others to resolve ecological questions and environmental issues
- Like the idea of a career in lab and/or field-based science
- Find research or teach
- Environmental consultant
- Restoration ecologist
- Environmental scientist
- Research scientist
- State and Municipal Departments of Natural Resources
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Private Consulting Firms
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Natural Resource Conservation Service
- Coteau Environmental Consulting
- South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks
- South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources
Suggested Dual Majors
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.