Skip to main content

Major General Robert F. Schulte

Major General Robert (Bob) E. Schulte served as the Assistant Adjutant General for Army, North Dakota Army National Guard, in Bismarck, North Dakota. His responsibilities included assisting the adjutant general in the deployment and coordination of programs, policies and plans affecting the 4,100 members of the North Dakota Army National Guard.

General Schulte was born December 8, 1936, in Carroll, Iowa. He graduated from the South Dakota State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts in 1959. He attended the Close Combat Course and Day and Night Infiltration Course in 1960; the Armor Officer Basic Course in 1960; Officer Rotary Wing Aviator Course in 1960; Officer Rotary Wing Aviator Course, Phase II in 1961; National Guard Rotary Wing Standardization Course in 1969; The Engineer Officer Basic Correspondence (non-resident) in 1969; Engineer Officer Career Course in 1971; Command and General Staff (resident and non-resident) in 1977.

General Schulte began his military career when he was commissioned a second lieutenant through the Senior Reserve Officers' Training Corps at SDSU on 18 December 1959. He served on active duty as an officer from 13 March 1960 until 1 March 1963. He completed the Armor Officer Basic Course - Ft. Knox, Kentucky and was assigned as a platoon leader with Co C, lst Bn, 6th Armd Cav at Ft. Knox, Kentucky. He attended the Officer Rotary Wing Aviator Course - Camp Wolters, Texas, and was a Rotary Wing Aviator until his release from active duty as a First Lieutenant. Upon his release from active duty, General Schulte was a member of the United States Army Reserve Control Group until 31 October 1963. General Schulte was appointed as a Chief Warrant Officer Two in the North Dakota Army National Guard on 1 November 1963 and served as a Helicopter Pilot in various aviation positions until 19 September 1967. He was reappointed as a First Lieutenant on 20 September 1967 and continued to serve in aviation positions until 30 November 1972. He has served as a Company Commander and in various staff positions with engineer units of the North Dakota Army National Guard. In August 1980 he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and served as a Battalion Commander for five years with the 141st Engineer Combat Battalion of the North Dakota Army National Guard. Of special significance during his tenure as a Battalion Commander is that his battalion was the first in the North Dakota Army National Guard to participate in combined arms training. Because of General Schulte's pursuit of excellence in training, the use of combined arms training is one of the primary facets of training utilized by the North Dakota Army National Guard, which has increased the State's combat readiness posture. In August 1985, General Schulte was promoted to Colonel, and assigned as the Commander of the 164th Engineer Group, North Dakota Army National Guard. He served as Group Commander until 6 July 1988. On 7 July 1988 General Schulte was appointed as the Deputy Assistant Adjutant General for the State of North Dakota. General Schulte was promoted and federally recognized as a brigadier general on 1 July 1989.

The general's military decorations and awards include the Meritorious Service Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters; Army Commendation Medal with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster; Army Achievement Medal; Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters; Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 1 Hour Glass Device; National Defense Service Medal; Army Service Ribbon; Overseas Service Medal; Army Reserve Components Overseas Training Ribbon; Master Army Aviator Badge. The general's civic affiliations include the National Guard Association of the United States; National Guard Association of North Dakota; Mandan Lions Club; Mandan Elks; Knights of Columbus; American Legion; Mandan Chamber of Commerce; Mandan Athletic and Recreation Club; National Rifle Association; Capital City Gun Club; Ducks Unlimited, Inc.

In civilian life, General Schulte was vice-president of Operations, Cloverdale Foods Company, Mandan, North Dakota.