South Dakota State University provides Microsoft Office to every student, staff, and faculty member, free of charge. Office 365 includes the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and more. As long as you're a current student or employed at SDSU, you'll be able to use this software for free. You can install Office365 on up to five compatible computers, plus five mobile devices.
Instructors utilize LockDown Browser for online quizzes and tests. Most instructors provide a link on their class site in D2L on where to install LockDown Browser, but if not, here are the instructions on how to install it.
Install LockDown Browser
The download for LockDown Browser can be found here on Windows and Mac.
On the main page, select the "Install Now" button.
INSTALL ON WINDOWS
- Go to the Downloads and run the LockDown Browser Application.
- Choose Setup Language: English (United States)
- License Agreement: I accept the terms of the license agreement
- InstallShield Wizard Complete:
INSTALL ON MAC
- Go to the Downloads folder and run the pkg.
- This package will run a program to determine if the software can be installed.
- To continue installing the software, you must agree to the terms of the software license agreement.
- Installation Type
- The installer is trying to install new software.
- Type computer password or use Touch ID
Zoom is a cloud-based service that provides simple online meetings, content sharing, and video conferencing capability. You do not need a zoom account to attend a zoom meeting; only the host has to have an account to enable the scheduling of meetings. All active faculty, staff, and students at SDSU are entitled to a zoom account.
- Internet connection - wired or wireless
- Webcam - built-in camera or USB camera
- Speakers/Microphones - built-in or external USB and Bluetooth
- macOS 10.6.8 or later
- Windows 7 or later
- iOS or Android
- In the sign-in window, select the option for "Sign In with SSO."
- If it asks for your company domain, enter "sdstate." If it asks for you to sign in by email, enter full sdstate email address.
- It will then direct you to the single sign-on page.
- Select "Launch Zoom."
Box Drive is the incredibly simple way to stream all of your files (even terabytes of data) right to your desktop. Open your Windows Explorer or Mac Finder to find every file you need. Edit like you would any local file and save it — automatically — to the cloud. And keep the enterprise-grade security protecting everything you do.
Features and Benefits
All your files, without all the hard-drive woes - With all your content streamed directly to your desktop; it’s fast and easy to access all your files in seconds — without using practically any hard drive space.
Fits the way you already work - Box Drive is natively integrated into Windows Explorer and Mac Finder, making it easy to use — and built right into the way you already work.
Easily share your workspace - Right-click any folder to share instantly or open on box.com and invite your team to view, edit, and upload files to turn folders into shared, collaborative workspaces.
Never lose a file again - A stolen laptop or hard drive crash doesn’t have to mean lost files. Safely store your work documents and projects in Box Drive.
Download for Windows 64-bit here
Download for Windows 32-bit here
Download for Mac here
Click here for a list of the operating systems supported.
For more information on Box, visit our Student Web Services page.
CloudApps, or VMWare Horizon Client, is a virtual lab that all students have access to. Some classes have specific labs that they are granted access to, but you will only see those labs if you are a part of a class that needs access to it.
Download and Install the VMware Horizon Client.
- Open a web browser and browse to https://cloudapps.sdstate.edu.
- Install VMWare Horizon Client
- Find the OS Version that you are trying to install on and 'Go to Downloads'
- Download VMware Horizon Client for Windows (or whichever OS you're installing on) > Download.
- Run the .exe file that downloads
- VMware Horizon > Accept & Install
- Success > Finish
- Restart Now
- After the computer reboots, look up VMware Horizon Client on your system.
- New Server > Add Server.
- Enter the name of the Connection Server, cloudapps.sdstate.edu > Login
- Username: MyState/InsideState
- Password: MyState/InsideState
The General Lab virtual lab should show up. Some users may have other virtual labs as well. If the other labs don't show up, tell them to notify their instructor that they need to email Heather Essink with the class list to access the virtual lab.
South Dakota State University has a Total Academic Headcount (TAH) license, which provides campus-wide access to MATLAB, Simulink, and various add-on products. All faculty, researchers, and students can use MATLAB on their personal computers and laptops.
All students, staff, and faculty at SDSU may download and install EndNote on their work and personal computers. This program is licensed only for current SDSU students, staff, and employees.
For installation instructions, check out the Briggs Library EndNote: Getting Started page.
GIS stands for Geographic Information System and is a framework for gathering, managing, and analyzing data.
ArcGIS is software designed to create and share maps, analytics, and data.
Autodesk is a leader in 3D design, engineering, and entertainment software.
- AutoCAD® is a computer-aided design (CAD) software that architects, engineers, and construction professionals rely on to create precise 2D and 3D drawings.
- Draft, annotate, and design 2D geometry and 3D models with solids, surfaces, and mesh objects.
- Automate tasks such as comparing drawings, adding blocks, creating schedules, and more
- Customize with add-on apps and APIs.
- Use Revit® to drive efficiency and accuracy across the project lifecycle, from conceptual design, visualization, and analysis to fabrication and construction.
- Begin modeling in 3D with accuracy and precision.
- Automatically update floor plans, elevations, and sections as your model develops.
- Let Revit handle routine and repetitive tasks with automation so you can focus on higher-value work.
If you need any assistance with installing these or any other programs, please contact the Support Desk. If you are bringing your device to the Support Desk, please make sure to fill out our IT SERVICE CHECK-IN FORM.