Innovation. Excellence. Results.
Choice matters. When it comes to athletic training education, the reputation of South Dakota State University speaks volumes. Our faculty and preceptors are driven to prepare engaged practitioners and contemporary leaders in athletic training. If you are looking for a quality program that places your individual goals at the heart of our mission, you've come to the right place.
- Low student-teacher ratio = highly individualized educational experience.
- Opportunities to be involved in every aspect of the athletic training profession including patient care, research and professional and community service.
Access and Affordability
- The Athletic Training program maintains both an early assurance 5-year accelerated track and a traditional 6-year track to degree completion.
- In addition to providing low tuition rates, the MSAT program is a part of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE), a conglomerate of 15 states that provide resident tuition to students from each of the member states.
Student access represents a key tenet of the mission of the MSAT program and South Dakota State University. Therefore, we offer TWO DEGREE TRACKS requiring the same coursework, sequenced in the same manner, both allowing for MSAT degree completion and the ability to sit for the BOC examination.
- Work toward completing your undergraduate degree in a related field as well as all of the Pre-Athletic Training Coursework and apply for admission to MSAT program during the final (fourth) year of the undergraduate degree program.
- If admitted, you will begin the MSAT program during the Summer term immediately after graduation with the undergraduate degree.
- ACCELEREATED (3+2)
Designed specifically in conjunction with our CAAHEP accredited B.S. in Exercise Science degree at SDSU.
- Work toward completing your undergraduate degree in Exercise Science, complete all of the Pre-Athletic Training Coursework and apply for admission to MSAT program during your third year of the program (may begin the application process as early as the second year).
- Once all application requirements have been met, you will be admitted and begin the MSAT program during the Summer term immediately after the end of your third undergraduate year.
- During your 4th year, you will start completing all necessary requirements for the MSAT program while also completing any remaining requirements for the undergraduate Exercise Science degree. Your undergraduate degree will be awarded at the end of your forth year, with you also returning for a fifth year to finish all MSAT degree requirements.
You will work with their professional advisor in Exercise Science as well as the Athletic Training Program director to ensure appropriate academic progress as you work toward completing both degrees
- First-time BOC Pass Rate that is well above the National Average.
- Nearly 100% job placement rate! Alumni of the program work around the world as education program directors and faculty members, research program coordinators and clinicians in a wide array of settings from high school, college and professional sports to hospitals and sports medicine clinics. Check out our Alumni Map which shows a small sample of where graduates from our athletic training program now work!
Diverse and Innovative Curriculum:
- Contemporary coursework that fosters critical thinking and stimulates a desire for life-long learning.
- Classroom and clinical structure that maximizes student learning.
- Authentic immersive experiences in a variety of clinical settings including but not limited to rural and urban high schools, colleges, sports medicine clinics and professional sports.
Outstanding Faculty and Preceptors:
- Award-winning, engaging faculty and preceptors who embrace their role as advisors and mentors and are dedicated to helping students achieve their career goals.