The South Dakota State University Athletic Training Program exists to cultivate a learning environment implementing innovative and best practice pedagogies which challenge students to become reflective, professional, and ethical practitioners dedicated to improving patients' quality of life.
- To prepare qualified, confident, and competent athletic trainers for employment in athletic training settings.
- To promote and support the professional development of our athletic training students by (1) assisting them with development of semester and career goals, professional statements, resumes and interview preparation, (2) promoting networking contacts with professionals in Athletic Training and related areas, and (3) identifying and assisting students in completing post graduate professional opportunities.
- To provide an opportunity and support for each student to develop affectual and interpersonal skills related to the profession of athletic training. These include, but are not limited to ethical standards, critical thinking and problem solving abilities, and verbal and written communication skills.
- To introduce students to the value of research as it relates to the advancement of their professional development and the profession as a whole.
- To support students in becoming reflective practitioners in regards to their athletic training student education/experience, in their daily practice and in regards to current issues in athletic training.
- To provide a quality and accessible Athletic Training education for students in the state of South Dakota, the region, and nationally.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Provide confident and competent, patient-centered care that meets the essential and expected practices of Athletic Training practice in order to improve patient-outcomes.
- Recognize and demonstrate behaviors that reflect a commitment to legal, ethical, and professional athletic training practice in a diverse and evolving healthcare environment.
- Effectively collaborate within an interdisciplinary team to provide consistent, efficient healthcare that optimizes patient outcomes.
- Integrate the best available evidence, clinical expertise, and patient values to provide safe and effective care.
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize patient safety and improve quality.
- Communicate, manage knowledge, mitigate error, and support decision making using information technology.