The art of communication.
A major in Communication Studies prepares students to understand the central role that communication plays in people’s lives. Graduates of this program will receive the training, expertise and background that will promote professional success in a wide variety of career areas where communication is a critical requirement. The major offers flexibility and can easily be added to another major.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Are a good listener and communicator
- Are inquisitive and like to solve problems
- Are a creative thinker
- Enjoy persuading others to change their attitudes, behavior, or opinions
- Human resources representative
- Event planner
- Director of community relations
- Communication specialist
- Graduate School
- Habitat for Humanity
- U.S. House of Representatives
- SD Board of Technical Education
- Experiential Learning
- Workplace Intercultural Competence
- Health Communication
- Social Media
- Legal Studies
Clubs and Organizations
- Lambda Pi Eta
- Pi Kappa Delta
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.