Teach students in middle school or high school.
The English major with an English Education Specialization is designed to prepare the student for a career in high school or middle school teaching. In addition to coursework in English and Linguistics, students preparing for careers in secondary education will also complete the required education courses for teacher certification.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy studying literature, literary criticism, and language studies
- Are a strong reader and writer
- Are interested in history and culture, especially as they relate to the study of narrative
- Are eager for an intellectual challenge
- Are interested in teaching
- Graduate school
- Youth organization director
- Counseling or ministry (with additional education)
- Lawyer (with additional education)
- SD, MN, and IA School Districts
- Graduate school
- Experiential Learning
- Select a Modern Language (French Studies, German, or Spanish)
- Communication Studies
- American Indian Studies
- Events and Facilities Administration
Clubs and Organizations
- English Club
- Student National Education Association
- Kappa Delta Pi
To learn more specific details about program requirements, view this program in the course catalog.
View the recommended academic plan.
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.