Words have power. Embrace them.
Through the study of writing, rhetoric, theory, and literature, students in our on-campus and online M.A. programs develop highly-valued skills and capacities that will prove indispensable whether they are pursuing careers in education, creative or professional writing, business, publishing, advertising, consulting, marketing, public relations, law, technology, or medicine. Our students are trained in writing, analysis, research, problem solving, project management, and leadership. At the same time, they explore the ways in which literature—both that we read and that we write—deepens our understanding of ourselves, cultivates our knowledge of the world, and develops our empathy for others. Students who pursue the M.A. in English position themselves not only to excel professionally, but to pursue meaningful work that fosters human connections, improves communities, and adds value to their lives and the lives of others. Students in our Master's programs work closely with faculty who have expertise in a wide range of specialty areas, including British and American literature, juvenile literature, ethnic literatures, women’s writing, creative writing, rhetoric, composition, professional and technical writing, literary and cultural theory, publishing and editing, legal studies, film studies, and peace and conflict studies.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Value the study of literature and literary history
- Possess an interest in critical and/or creative writing
- Seek to develop highly sought-after skills such as critical thinking, problem solving, analysis, research, and communication
- Wish to develop a deeper understanding of the meaning and the diversity of human experience
- Teacher at a community or junior college
- A doctoral student
- Professional writer
- Business writer
- Environmental science or travel writer
- Public relations or marketing and communication specialist
- Digital media specialist