Yeager Hall houses the University Printing Laboratory on the lower level and the Department of Journalism on the upper level. It was built in 1959 at a cost of $238,144.
Yeager Hall was named for Anson and Ada May Yeager, ’47 and ’43, respectively. In 2000, an addition was added to the upper level of the building and an extensive renovation was completed.
Anson Yeager, son and grandson of newspapermen, was born in Salt Lake City, attended grade school in Denver and Maurine, South Dakota. He learned typing by lamp light in his ranch home. He learned the linotype at the Faith Independent and shorthand at Faith High School. He enrolled in Printing and Rural Journalism at South Dakota State College. He served in World War II, returned for his degree and became an Argus Leader career reporter in 1952. He was executive editor 1961-78 and retired as associate editor in 1984.
Ada May Bidwell was born on a farm near Colman, South Dakota, and finished high school at the age of 16. Following her graduation from South Dakota State College in 1943, she enlisted in the Naval Reserve and severed as a communication officer after the end of the war. She and Anson Yeager, who met in a chemistry class, were married in 1944. They raised five children.
The Yeagers were the major benefactors of a privately funded project to expand and remodel the printing and journalism building during the 1999-2000 school years. In recognition of their generosity, the building was named for them.
Mailing Address:1137 Campanile Avenue
Brookings, SD 57007