Skip to main content

Coolidge Sylvan Theatre

Coolidge Sylvan Theatre

On September 10, 1927, President Calvin Coolidge dedicated this outdoor theatre and the Lincoln Memorial Library. Located just off Medary Avenue, the green space has several structures and wrought iron gates.

Building Description

Designed by Ada B. Caldwell, an art professor at SDSU from 1899 to 1937, Coolidge Sylvan Theatre is decorated with wrought iron gates which were hand-forged on campus. From 1928 until 1973 Coolidge Sylvan Theatre was the site of most graduations. The stage is still used for plays, presidential inaugurations and outdoor celebrations. In 1998, Coolidge Sylvan Theatre was renovated in preparation for the inauguration of SDSU’s 18th president, Peggy Gordon Elliott, on September 19.

Video Tour

Physical Address:

912 Medary Ave.
Brookings, SD 57007