Built in 1969 at the cost of $547,727, the Bailey Rotunda houses seven large, theater-style classrooms and a technology center to provide the latest in modern teaching techniques.
Each room has smart classroom technology, allowing faculty members to use different forms of audio and visual materials to teach their courses. In the Bailey Rotunda, students can find posters from all over campus filled with activities, club meetings, job postings and more.
The building was named for Harold S. Bailey, Jr. He joined the war effort following his graduation from Massachusetts College of Pharmacy in 1944. After the war, he earned his master’s degree at Massachusetts and completed his doctoral studies at Purdue University, where he also was an instructor. He began teaching at SDSU in 1951 and gained full-professor status in 1958. He continued as a professor until his retirement in 1985. Bailey served as professor of pharmaceutical chemistry from 1951 to 1985 and as dean and vice president of academic affairs from 1961 to 1985. He served as dean of the Graduate School from 1965 to 1977. During the 1970s and 1980s, Bailey was director of both the South Dakota and North Dakota Department Leadership programs under the State Board of Regents for the American Council on Education.
Physical Address:1020 Campanile Ave.
Brookings, SD 57007