The Campanile built in 1929 at a cost of $75,000. The 165-foot tall tower on the southwest corner of the campus has 180 steps to the top. It serves as the landmark for the college as well as the community.
It bears the name of Charles L. Coughlin, a 1909 electrical engineering graduate who donated the funding for the structure. The tower of Indiana white limestone, red brick, and concrete received a $600,000 facelift during the 2001 construction season. The Campanile was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. It took 320,000 bricks to build. A keyboard is located in Lincoln Hall to play the chimes located at the top of the structure.
Physical Address:940 Medary Ave.
Brookings, SD 57007