The dairy building is the result of a $9.3–million construction and remodeling project. As with the original building, the new facility houses dairy husbandry and bacteriology departments as well as a dairy products laboratory and the Dairy Bar snack shop. The Davis Dairy Plant and the Alfred Dairy Science Hall were dedicated October 21, 2011.
Work began in April 2010 and was completed just in time for classes to start in late August 2011. The newly added manufacturing plant was financed through private giving with most of it coming from the dairy industry. The Gonzenbachs, Valley Queen Cheese, and Davisco Foods were major contributors. Davis Dairy Plant takes its name from the Davis family, owners of Davisco Foods International of Le Sueur, Minnesota. In addition to remodeling the existing dairy plant, the project added 10,850 square feet of space, creating a state-of-the-art plant totaling 17,900 square feet. The original facilities were completed in 1962 with an $800,000 appropriation from the state Legislature. The new construction represents the first major update.
Physical Address:1225 College Ave.
Brookings, SD 57007