Built in 1957, the building is named after Harold M. Crothers, thrice acting president of then South Dakota State College (1946-1947, 1951, and 1957-1958) and former Dean of Engineering. The cost of the structure was approximately $850,000.
The ground floor of the building is home to the civil and environmental engineering department. This floor houses the Jerome J. Lohr Structures Lab, which is used to test full-scale bridge specimens and other structural systems. There is a cluster of four connected labs for testing various construction, asphalt, and geotechnical materials. The water and environmental engineering research lab is also on the ground floor.
Mechanical engineering labs in the building include: METlab (materials evaluation and testing), LEADER (lab for engineering of additive designs, education and research) and a thermo fluids lab.
The main level of the building has several classrooms, design labs and offices. The dean’s office, when renovations are complete, and the mechanical engineering department office are also on this floor.
The third level of the building has several labs to study heat transfer, computational fluid dynamics and biofuels. Additional classrooms, graduate assistants office space, and capstone design studio are on this floor as well.
Physical Address:1151 8th St.
Brookings, SD 57007